Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at downrange wads, what wad do you recommend for a 1150 fps 1 1/8 oz shot?

New to reloading shotgun shells and do not understand most of the differences between the models.

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
I'd use their figure 8 wad with the 8 petals. like the windjammer wad. I shoot Claybuster wads.

Then again I may not be the best to direct ya my friend.

Brady

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use the bronze type for the new Winchester shells....they work great. If you are shooting new Winchester shells, the new bronze type must be used.

·
Registered
296 Posts
What other components are involved.....primers? Powder? This info is critical in determining a loading for 1150. Give me that info and I can give you a good recommendation. DownRange does make premium wads at a good price. You won't go wrong using them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
go with the Remington figure 8. They are very easy to put in the loader unlike the the 8 petal wads. The downrange equivalent is the DRRF8. Do not be afraid of one once shells they are just s good as 1 1/8 and they are cheaper to load.

·
Registered
188 Posts
http://www.downrangemfg.com/cache/com_zoo/images/remington%20drhf8_3ba27f998f7277d1a6b670e65a88fa3e.jpg

This is the wad you will want

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I'm with Brady509 on this one, tried DR products twice-unhappy both times. Went back to CBs and\or OEMs no trouble since. With 700X & WW primers in new style HS hulls the fig.8 for 1&1\8-----TGT 12 for 1oz-- as they seem to slip past that ridge a littlt better --CB clones seem to be just as good as OEMs, at least I can't tell the difference. Ross Puls

·
Registered
597 Posts
I`m with dtrap. The Downrange DRA-12 Bronze wad works great with AAHS (new style) Winchester Hulls for 1 1/8 oz. These wads used to be white.

Regards , Pete

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just purchased some dra-12 since I couldn't get Winchester wads. They are suppose to be a direct replacement but they are definitely not the same size. The downrange are noticeably shorter so now I have to work on the loader to make them work.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
minnship8\chip: My experience was soft feeling and sounding loads. Even had people ask what I was shooting, went back to OEMs or CBs, everything returned to normal. Also as per clayshtr they are a little undersize by my calipers. Called DR to see if they had any suggestions and was basically told if I didn't like them to use OEMs so I did\do. Ross Puls

PS Maybe DR was just having a bad hair day when I called?????

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
I agree with the DRA-12 Bronze wad. The reason they are shorter is the AAHS hulls have less internal capacity. If you try to use a taller wad, the hull will buckle on crimping. The shorter DRA-12 bronze wad prevents the blivet. I tried to go from the AACF to the HS and not change anything and was severely frustrated until I changed to the shorter wad and the problems with hulls buckling disappeared. This is a well known issue.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,725 Posts
The product number/name is: DRHRF8 1 1/8oz. Use DRRF8 loading data. 19.2gr of Green Dot with Winchester 209 primers will give you an outstanding load. We use it up to the 25yd line. For 25 - 27 take it up to 20gr of Green Dot. It loads smoothly & well in our P/W 800 machines.

best....mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts