Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I'll be out this weekend. No chance to take the day off for opener. My buddy got 8 today on a small wheat field hopefully proves to be good sunday

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I got 12. Once I put my skeet choked barrel away and shot full choke. My 8 month old lab needs work but was a lot of fun. 2 cripples got away because she is being to soft of mouth but she kept 2 others where I could get them. Can't wait for the weekend when I can get out with more family.

Al

·
Registered
86 Posts
Our season opens Saturday. My field out in front of my house has a lot of birds. I have sunflowers/brown top/ heaeded bird feed and corn. I put the mulcher on the tailgate and drive along side the corn. Pick and blow it out the mulcher onto clean disk ground beside the corn. Hope its cool and cloudy

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Our season opens Saturday. My field out in front of my house has a lot of birds. I have sunflowers/brown top/ heaeded bird feed and corn. I put the mulcher on the tailgate and drive along side the corn. Pick and blow it out the mulcher onto clean disk ground beside the corn. Hope its cool and cloudy
Don't know where you're at, but that'll get you arrested in IL and many other states.

·
Registered
692 Posts
It rained all last night and most of today. Finally got out there after work and only saw five birds- killed one. Worst start to the season ever. Hopefully this weekend will be better!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Don't know where you're at, but that'll get you arrested in IL and many other states.
SC. You can manipulate a crop any way you want to as long as it REMAINS in the field where it was grown. Starting 10-1 to 10-31 we can(and will) top sow wheat on smooth plowed dirt. And burn the brown top.................ALL legal.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My son and I ended up with 21 birds last night with our 28gauges. One of the best nights I’ve had. Will have more ammo tonight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Waiting for Saturday opener here in Virginia. Going to shoot one round this evening with the 16 gauge SxS as a warm up. Should be a good year here.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I cheated myself out of a hunt with two sons in law because of a very negative weather forecast. All five in their party killed easy limits and the rain held off until they were done. I'm waiting to see how they did this morning. I'll try locally on Saturday morning and then go to South Texas on Sept 18-20. JPM

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
SC. You can manipulate a crop any way you want to as long as it REMAINS in the field where it was grown. Starting 10-1 to 10-31 we can(and will) top sow wheat on smooth plowed dirt. And burn the brown top.................ALL legal.
Cool! Many moons ago I hunted/guided for Canada Geese in So. IL. I know the Federales took offense at ANY manipulation of the crop back then. Even to the point of trying to blame the club owner for having Southwestern Corn Borer that caused more corn to end up on the ground than "normal". Dove hunting here is a little less strict than migratory waterfowl. Chopping clear alleys in standing, mature, sunflowers is allowed as is burning off wheat straw. Silage fields are a good draw, but I think the IL DOC police would draw the line at chopping standing corn or nearly mature ears. Hunting over freshly worked and sowed wheat fields is allowed and productive, but most of our doves have moved on by the time we sow wheat here.

Good luck with the doves. I may see if I can get back out sometime this fall for the winged wonders.

AB

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Opening yesterday, Sept 1st, Wikkieup, Az. Lot of birds and had limit by 8:30. 5 shooters. No cold snap yet so birds were still plentiful..

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
My wife and I took ride yesterday evening, she let me take my shotgun but the shooting was slow maybe ten long shots for three doves. My 8th months old yellow lab got on to all three with an a little help and put one in my hand! Awesome! She is getting better everytime I get her to a bird. I am a little worried she might try to eat a bird but so far she has been so careful that I have lost two cripples because she is being to soft mouthed. I hope she gets that figured out before quail drive us both crazy!

Al

Reactions: MBA5
1 - 20 of 20 Posts