Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´m planning a trip to Argentina to go dove and pigeon hunting with my brother. This will be my second trip there. I went 2 years ago to Cordoba but flights seem to be kind of messy right now to get there, so i am serching in other provinces nearby. I heard San Luis has high volumes.

If anyone has reference of San Luis and where to stay at would be much appreciated.

If i find anything else i´ll update if someone is interested.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Arg is a mess economically right now. Since the Arg airlines are all govt run, lots of "iffy-ness" emergest.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I´m planning a trip to Argentina to go dove and pigeon hunting with my brother. This will be my second trip there. I went 2 years ago to Cordoba but flights seem to be kind of messy right now to get there, so i am serching in other provinces nearby. I heard San Luis has high volumes.

If anyone has reference of San Luis and where to stay at would be much appreciated.

If i find anything else i´ll update if someone is interested.

Steve, can't help with contacts but you can read a general overview of such hunts I posted a few years ago, here - - https://www.trapshooters.com/posts/3704545/

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Argentina high volume shooting is not for everyone. After I saw the backhoe dug pit for the dead birds I lost my desire to shoot "hundreds" of dove. It seemed like the wonton waste that my Father talked about as I grew up learning hunting values. I won't go back to shoot dove, but perdiz is another story!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Argentina high volume shooting is not for everyone. After I saw the backhoe dug pit for the dead birds I lost my desire to shoot "hundreds" of dove. It seemed like the wonton waste that my Father talked about as I grew up learning hunting values. I won't go back to shoot dove, but perdiz is another story!
A friend has just returned from Cordoba Province with eight shooting companions. He told me they'd shot 40,000 doves between them in a week. Each to his own......................I personally prefer Argentina's scenic beauty, history, culture and entertainment (and intriguing politics) not to mention its excellent food and wine.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Maybe this will change your thoughts on this, but , maybe not, anyway,
These birds eat thousands of tons of valuable grain crops there, the birds to them are like roaches are to us, just a pest. Where as we pay a pest control guy to rid us of roaches, we pay them big money to help them rid their pests. We do them a service by wing shooting volumes there. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
It would be wonderful if Horacio Larreta, the Mayor of Buenos Aires, would allow marksmen to rid the capital of the doves in the city which are nothing but a PITA. Feeding the damn birds should be made a criminal offence.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Maybe this will change your thoughts on this, but , maybe not, anyway,
These birds eat thousands of tons of valuable grain crops there, the birds to them are like roaches are to us, just a pest. Where as we pay a pest control guy to rid us of roaches, we pay them big money to help them rid their pests. We do them a service by wing shooting volumes there. JMHO.
The birds have at least 3 hatches a year and do not migrate from the Córdoba valley. Total crop loss caused by dove alone can be as high as 40%. It would be a kick in the nuts if we just cut 40 % of our income and watched it fly away

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
889 Posts
My wife and I just returned from Cordoba 4 days ago. It was a terrific trip. The accommodations were more than adequate, the food was excellent, the service was absolutely perfect, the shooting opportunities were outstanding. We were low key about the shooting - I limited myself to 200 shells per hunt and my wife limited herself to 100. But that was plenty for us at our age. The travel arrangements were trouble free - we did have a long layover in Lima but we knew that from the start. We flew United from Houston to Lima and Latan from Lima to Cordoba. And then the reverse coming home. Reasonable air fare - $1150 each round trip if I remember correctly. No problems with any of the flights. I hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did ours. JPM

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I do understand crop damage --first hand! We have our triticale seed in the pivot germinating right now, thousands of Sandhill cranes have shown up due to weather in the midwest. Us and other farmers on the same planting schedule shoot and run quads to scare the birds out of our pivots--it usually take two or three time spooking to have them stay out.
We could shoot truck loads of Sandhill cranes!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
There choice was ether make money off of people who likes to shoot or poison the birds and not know what other critters would get in the poison
and there choice in my mind was the right choice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts