Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up, Doubletrapman is a scammer.

This has already pretty much been hashed out on his Krieghoff barrels posting, but I thought I'd make a general announcement since it appears he has a few people on the hook for various items.

The krieghoff barrels he's selling include pictures lifted from the clay target sports website. The XT trap he's selling include a description lifted from a ts.com ad from 2008. The 525 20ga he's selling include pictures and description lifted from a Armslist posting from August.

David has been notified, and I'm sure he'll boot this guy shortly, but I thought I'd give everyone else a heads up...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Pete,

Yup, they usually will say something just a little off that should give you pause. People get scammed when they ignore their filters because they get scared they'll miss out on a great deal.

Chip

·
Registered
85 Posts
thanks to all he almost got me on golden clays like they say always go with your gut feeling have a great holiday everyone

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
It is ironic that I just read this! Yesterday, I found a "too good to be true" ad on armslist. This was not the first time. The difference is that he responded fairly quickly and told me his location was Indianapolis! His language was good this time. When I went back in to check closely the pics, I found a small "Gunbroker.com" on the bottom right hand corner of the photo. I went into gunbroker and entered exactly how the armslist description read. Up popped the gun and ad! Shocker. The Gunbroker ad wanted $2995 instead of $700! Needless to say, I sent the scammer a heartwarming email! You would have thought he would be smart enough to get rid of the "gunbroker.com" on his stolen copy and paste?! Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Here's what he gave me two days ago:

Here is my name and address ..

Name : CHARLES HIDER
Address : 164 stooping oaks road dunlap tn 37327
Phone #423-724-7942

Email me a Copy of your FFL
Email me your Full name and Address it will be written on the BOX. But i will ship it to your FFL
Make Payment via USPS priority Mail Money Order and Email me Tracking #

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
So this scammer actually created a "sign on name" thus becoming a member here and proceeded to initiate the scam this way? If so, this is much more dangerous as they can communicate via PM which we always take for granted as safe. Glad nobody got hooked.

·
Registered
85 Posts
ditto to yakimaman sent me 10 texts 2 e-mails all in 3 hrs all wondering when will payment be coming and how i said call me he said just moved from michican to tn verizon hadnt updated his roaming yet could only text wanted to buy him self nice xmas present had open heart surgery doctor said no shooting his children all shot better grade trap gun this guy good at lying belongs in white house

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'd sent him a PM on the Golden Clays, but based on the pricing, and the second ad for the XT, I was trying to bait him into tripping over himself. The lack of ability to provide additional pictures, or even offer to, was a solid indication he was a scammer. Still, it is very disturbing that while he did price lower than market, he didn't to the point of it being absolutely unbelievable, and that he was able to use the PM feature so well, apparently, is also nerve wracking. Glad no one got burnt...but yikes!

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
No offense to "Eagor" - but after having just read his comment(s) I'm not certain that he's not a scammer. Little to no puncutation, capitalization, or syntax in his post. A lenghty run on sentence that I had to read about three times to try to fully understand.

It is apparent that multiple grammatical errors in a posting cannot be the only litmus test to determine if the person composing the text is a "bona fide" individual !

Obviously any item listed for sale, on a free forum with no restrictions, merits investigation of the item and the seller. I've been watching, posting, and replying on this site for at least two years. A thought occurred to me a few days ago that the site is turning into more of a classified section that a trap shooting forum. I haven't taken the time to actually count the number of items listed for sale, but comparitively speaking the "for sale" category far exceeds the other categories - perhaps on a combined basis.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
You got that right amboy49. I just about passed out reading his post as there were no breaks to catch ones breath. At what point in history did they quit teaching basic grammar, spelling and punctuation?

·
Krieghoff K80
2,481 Posts
Thanks Skeet man and David, for the heads up. I've bought 2 guns in last 3 months or so on here, with no problem, but will be more vigilant in the future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts