Trapshooters Forum banner

Doubles

2850 Views 21 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Ram Rod
New to the game, first bird good, its the second,( i usually shoot singles fast with 70/30 gun. ) Seems like i am shooting second bird as if its a rising bird and more often than not its topped out, flat or starting to fall, so over it i go!
Ideas? Tx
Reactions: blackandgold
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
8,275 Posts
New to the game, first bird good, its the second,( i usually shoot singles fast with 70/30 gun. ) Seems like i am shooting second bird as if its a rising bird and more often than not its topped out, flat or starting to fall, so over it i go!
Ideas? Tx
Most likely new to shooting them and self doubt.

Shoot first target with controlled aggression and once you slap the trigger, gets those eyes moving and locked on 2nd bird, trust yourself and launch soldiers.

· Registered
2,019 Posts
Ideas? Tx
Just stop doing it.
Not shooting over them, but shooting doubles at all.
You'll be a happier man.
You're welcome.

· Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Second bird is either a 7 o'clock or a 5 o'clock target & dont forget to swing through.
rw993 had good advice " DON'T ADMIRE YOUR WORK ON THE FIRST "
The result of your first shot doesn't matter. Once you've pulled the trigger that shot hit or miss is history. Get that pesky first target out of the way & treat the second like its a first bird.

· Registered
6,593 Posts
Doubles sounds like a gateway drug to skeet and sporting clays.
I have always found it to be just the opposite. The first two are fun games that make some really grumpy and irritable when mastery escapes those perfectionists. Grumpy and irritable have always been the first two boxes checked off when talking about if a shooter can make it in trap.

I have been around very few irritable or grumpy other sports shooters. Trap on the other hand ...............

A failed skeeter has been a better than average trapper way more than anyone will admit to. That may be why trappers like to insult skeeters.

Al

Reactions: OldGoat

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have always found it to be just the opposite. The first two are fun games that make some really grumpy and irritable when mastery escapes those perfectionists. Grumpy and irritable have always been the first two boxes checked off when talking about if a shooter can make it in trap.

I have been around very few irritable or grumpy other sports shooters. Trap on the other hand ...............

A failed skeeter has been a better than average trapper way more than anyone will admit to. That may be why trappers like to insult skeeters.

Al
No need for insults, when i get old, i may shoot skeet;)

· Banned
2,714 Posts

Al
What is a failed skeeter?

· Registered
6,593 Posts
No need for insults, when i get old, i may shoot skeet;)
Not insulting just covering common knowledge. Maybe knowledge outside of the trap shooting family but common knowledge to rest of the world.

I would be shooting registered trap for the winter chain. Serious shooting seriously into average and improving myself.

Than the summer league was skeet. Relearning how to swing seriously swinging for hard crossing shots. Spending the summer getting ready for feathered birds, wing shooting, that trap just doesn't work for.

The men I shot with in those leagues always had comments or kind of questions.........
You aren't a grumpy, full of yourself get how can be a trap shooter?

Al

· Banned
2,714 Posts
Not insulting just covering common knowledge. Maybe knowledge outside of the trap shooting family but common knowledge to rest of the world.

I would be shooting registered trap for the winter chain. Serious shooting seriously into average and improving myself.

Than the summer league was skeet. Relearning how to swing seriously swinging for hard crossing shots. Spending the summer getting ready for feathered birds, wing shooting, that trap just doesn't work for.

The men I shot with in those leagues always had comments or kind of questions.........
You aren't a grumpy, full of yourself get how can be a trap shooter?

Al
Skeet crossers aren't hard. There isn't much speed and no transition. Why there aren't doubles at 3/4/5 in the regular game of skeet, I can't tell you. Not that I would know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.