Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
I use Modified for the first shot and Lt. Full for the second.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
What ever tubes you select, base your performance criteria on whether you are able to smoke the target with a centered shot. This is the kind of feedback your brain needs to help your scores improve.

Most guys end up using something like mod & Imod of even tighter. The biggest mistake you can make is going to an open choke with the idea that you can shoot that first target rather slopily and get to the second target faster.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
My doubles gun is choked IM/F. And it's a fixed choke gun....choke tubes are just one more thing to get in your head...IMHO

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Take the guess work out of what choke to use. Have someone stand along side the trap field and see exactly where you break rhe first bird. For example, if you break the first bird at 24 or less yards, a skeet choke will get the job done. If you break the second bird at about 40 yards an IM choke will work. HMB

·
Registered
228 Posts
My Remington 3200 is choked full/full and like another poster above said, it is more important to know if you are able to center the targets or if you will be shooting in their general direction. I suspect as you are just starting out you will find comfort in a modified/modified or similar set up. Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy shooting doubles it is a great game.

J.F.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Ahhhhhh, A much debated subject..... I asked same question this spring here on TS.com

We learned a lot about doubles with my son this year. He gets them pretty quick so we settled in at IC and Mod. Very light one oz 8-1/2 on first shot and a light 1-1/8oz 8 on the second. No need for big recoil or speed for doubles.

I talked to 20+ people and everyone had a little different formula. You just have to keep working at it reading your breaks and adjusting both chokes and loads until it "clicks."

In the end, I think learning the proper stance, hold, set-up and muscle memory is more important than your chokes.

As you can see from the responses anything from Skeet to Full!

SW

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.