Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shooting Doubles... newbie looking for some input on your equipment strategy...

Shells... have an O/U... same shell for both or different... general thoughts on strategy as it pertains to loads for your 1st and 2nd shots...

Choke... for the first shot, how open a choke are you using... Modified, IC... more? 2nd shot traditional Full?

Been sometime since I've shot doubles... looking for guidance...

Thanks in advance
Jay

·
Registered
554 Posts
What I personally would do is have a good IM or LF in bottom barrel (shoot first) & full above (second). As far as shells go, I would use a #8 2 3/4 dram first, & a #7.5 3 dram in the top barrel.

Ithaca

·
Registered
961 Posts
What I would do is use the search function at the top of the page.

Just type in "doubles", click the 'titles only' box, highlight 'Shooting Related Threads' and
click the 'Display results as threads' box.

Put on a pot of coffee because you will get 400 threads about Doubles, each with multiple posts, to read through.

That should kill a couple of hours on this cold Sunday morning

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
More important than shells and chokes is the POI of each barrel of your O/U.
Is it set up to shoot doubles targets? The first target is a fast rising bird and the
second target is flat or dropping for most shooters. It is rare to find a gun set
up for those targets. HMB

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Depending on how quickly you shoot.......IC bottom barrel and M top barrel. I shoot 1 oz #8's @ 1200 fps for both shots.
This combo has consistently produced mid 90's scores for me.

Regardless of what you decide to do here about equipment.....lots of practice is needed to become a proficient doubles shooter.
Good luck.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I like mod in the bottom barrel with an ounce of 9s and an IM in the top with 1&1/8 ounces of 7.5s.

For steel, I use my light reloads for 1st shot and factory for the second.

Reactions: spitter

·
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More important than shells and chokes is the POI of each barrel of your O/U.
Is it set up to shoot doubles targets? The first target is a fast rising bird and the
second target is flat or dropping for most shooters. It is rare to find a gun set
up for those targets. HMB
HMB... shooting a newly acquired original generation Browning XT... typically, I would expect to shoot the bottom first, followed by the top barrel... your thoughts?

Wexy... what chokes are you using in your barrels?

Regards all,

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Check the POI of the top barrel and if it is in sync with the flight of the target that you will be shooting. HMB

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hey Jay,

I use the same set-up as I do for lead...mod for first shot, IM for second.

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
For doubles Im using a Perazzi MX-2005/choked mod. on the bot. bl. full on the top bl./I shoot a lite target 8 for both shots and use bottom bl. first. After trying a lot of different combinations over the years I have found this shell combination to work well for me. There were times when I used a 7/8 or 8.5s or a 1 oz or 8s which was fine and did not feel at a disadvantage using the lighter shell for my first shot but ultimately decided to just go with the same shell for both shots and keep things simple.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
I use Federal 7/8 #8's for the first shot through an IC and Federal Gold Medal 1 1/8 ounce #8's through a LF choke.

·
Super Moderator
3,270 Posts
Shooting Doubles... newbie looking for some input on your equipment strategy...

Shells... have an O/U... same shell for both or different... general thoughts on strategy as it pertains to loads for your 1st and 2nd shots...

Choke... for the first shot, how open a choke are you using... Modified, IC... more? 2nd shot traditional Full?

Been sometime since I've shot doubles... looking for guidance...

Thanks in advance
Jay
Talk to Scott, he'll get you started right.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You'll find a lot of different suggestions from many shooters about chokes selection, but from my point of view any choke selection depends on your style of shooting.
New doubles shooters usually shoot 'slow' - they are trying to aim both birds and as a result, second bird will be far away and will be dropping already.
In this case you'll need Mod in the first barrel and Full in the second. Once you'll get more practice and will figure out how to shoot 'fast' - your choke selection may change.
LM or M for the first and IM or LF for the the second.
As HMB mentioned already, find out POI of your gun barrels. If bottom barrel shoots higher - this is an advantage for shooting doubles (under barrel of my 725 trap is ~2 inches higher).
Also, take different types of shell with you to the patterning board and check POI.
From my experience, 1 oz loads have slightly higher POI than 1 1/8 and 7/8 oz higher than 1 oz (same shot and velocity).
1 oz of #8 for the first shot and 1 1/8 #7.5 or #8 works for me.
As a general suggestion for shooting doubles - find our how to shoot first bird aggressively/fast (mostly experiment with gun hold position) and second bird will be easy because it still be on the raise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts