Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All...
I still am on the shooting doubles in the 90's thing.
Question is do you use a combo or a dedicated gun for doubles?
thanx
mike

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,593 Posts
If I got into doubles, I'd get myself a dedicated doubles gun because I've already found the perfect singles and handicap gun. I'd use the doubles gun for other games and maybe hunting, also

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I shoot a single barrel for caps and singles and a different gun for doubles. They do what they are designed for and I see no reason that a combo would be better. Both guns fit me very well and I just hate to change something that works pretty well for me. I have tried shooting the combo and the dedicated doubles gun wins out every time.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
While I used to have a couple of guns for different events, have been using a 30 inch full choke super x-1 for a long time now. Stupidly sold it when I had to stop shooting years ago. Got another one now and getting it set back up the same as my old one. Don't have to worry about where the top vs. bottom barrel shoot because it shoots the same place on all shots. One less thing to think about. Or not think about as the case may be. I think that a lot of people have trouble because they over think the whole thing. It is not rocket surgery. See the bird and shoot the bird. But to do that, you do have to have your gun set up to shoot where you are looking. Personally, mine papers out center of the pattern about 14 inches high at 32 yards from a rest. But that is just me. Your miles may vary. Good luck though.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Both a combo and a dedicated gun have their advantages, a combo means you are shooting the same stock for all three events which is huge advantage for consistency. And with combo guns there’s a better constant between the two barrels. But the dedicated doubles gun gives you the extra gun/backup option as well. If you can get a single barrel and O/U of the same series and manufacturers, the consistency between the guns should be pretty close. Now having adjustable ribs and adjustable combs on both guns can also get POI where you want them to shoot. So both have valid advantages, really the choice is yours individually. I’ve had both, and currently use two different guns of the same manufacturer, but that’s my choice. What works best for me may not be what you need, better scores is the objective here so don’t be afraid to experiment and find out what the best solution for you is!!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have 1 dedicated to just singles and caps. I have a doubles gun just for that and games. Both have the triggers set the same and fit me the same for LOP.

Reactions: arnold55

·
Registered
683 Posts
Some do believe the combo gun to be an advantage for them. They indicate the same trigger and stock is what works for them.

I have found the combo gun not to work out for me. I have tried a few combos over the years.

You can put me in the dedicated doubles gun camp based on my experience. I do not believe you can apply the experience of others to your future potential. If you turn out to be one of the lucky ones; either choice will work for you. You may/may not have such good fortune.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I was not able to make two guns work. By the time I was hitting good with the doubles gun, I would switch to the single barrel and not be able to hit as well and visa versa.

I then went to a Combo gun set , and it was better. When I realized I shot singles as well or better with the O/U barrel set, I sold the combo and got a nicer O/U gun. Unless I am shooting a fun match, like sub gauge trap, .410 only or pump gun doubles, I usually just use the same O/U gun.

Like exfi recommended, that is something you can only prove by experimenting.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I do not shot many doubles any more but I have in the past. I have shot many different guns over the years but I always come back to my old Remington 1100.

·
Registered
561 Posts
If you are planning on traveling(flying,staying in motels etc.),I would say a combo is more convenient.Aside from that,I would say there are pros and cons to both.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I shoot a single barrel for caps and singles and a different gun for doubles. They do what they are designed for and I see no reason that a combo would be better. Both guns fit me very well and I just hate to change something that works pretty well for me. I have tried shooting the combo and the dedicated doubles gun wins out every time.
Now that where it get tricky it all depends as you can never be your best shooting different gun's for different events now I don't mean you cant be good it just with a combo your shooting the same stock using the same trigger to preform in these events, now with 2 different guns you have 2 different trigger pulls as one may have a faster hammer fall ,they have different balance and other things as well as the stock wont be the same , and if it only cost you one target before you adjust to the different gun that one too many as you can never get that target back why do you think the best in the world shoot combo it so they don't have a adjustment each time they shoot. I used to shoot 2 different guns and did well with them but just the mental aspect of knowing I am shooting the same gun ,same stock same balance and the same trigger is huge as it all mental and when things are the same it really help your mental game from knowing it. but some time price comes into play so shoot what you can afford to shoot and have fun.
Now I on the other hand shoot to win and not for fun when I win then it is fun.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I definitely prefer a combo, but only if the two barrels are the same length, or within an inch. When I shot a high POI for singles and caps, I was better off with a dedicated, flattish shooting O/U. When I went to a lower POI, I tried a 35/31.5 combo. Didn't work. The POI of the shorter O/U was higher with the same comb setting. I finally settled on a 9" high POI for everything and loved my 35/34 combo.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts