Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im fairly new to doubles. While im on the verge of possibly installing the release trigger for my sbt and making the switch It makes me wonder what doubles shooters use if they are already a release for singles and caps.

·
Registered
769 Posts
double release for doubles, if you go release pull you will eventually flinch and pick your head up on the second shot of a 100 doubles event and it will cause a miss then and further down the line as you think about it. saying from experience.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Skip the release/pull step, invariably you will end up at a double release anyway. You will likely be surprised at how quickly you adapt to the double release. Furthermore, with the double release embraced your ability to carry over to Sporting Clays and Skeet will be very natural. IMHO.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If your getting a release for your SBT, what makes you think you can shoot the second target in doubles with a pull?
Get a double release.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I used R/P for a long time. Last year I bought a new gun that mistakenly arrived with a R/R. I decided to try it for a while.

Now I think I like it better than R/P.............

Whatever works for you............

·
Registered
Remington 1100
173 Posts
I used R/P for a long time. Last year I bought a new gun that mistakenly arrived with a R/R. I decided to try it for a while.

Now I think I like it better than R/P.............

Whatever works for you............
Release/pull works for shooters who shoot a pull trigger for singles and handicap, especially if they are very fast shooters. The first shot is almost a snap shot and the second shot is more focused. Steve Carmichael shoots a release/pull.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Getting used to the release/release can be frustrating. But once you shoot this setup for awhile you will find it is great. I equate a release/release to shooting a pump action shotgun. You pump the action for the 2nd shot just like you reset the trigger for the 2nd shot with release/release. Once you've shot this setup for awhile it just comes natural to set the trigger for the 2nd shot. Same way with a pump; one ever thinks about pumping the action, it just happens. Release /pull equates to a release/flinch. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I went from R/P to finally Double release, its easy to learn, but once learned, you'll not ever be able to go back to a Release pull......

·
Registered
552 Posts
When I went to release triggers Allem's said go double release if you don't like it the hook could be removed for release pull. U went double release the first round of doubles was hard the 2nd 50 was better and the 3rd 50 I said I will not go back to P/P or try R/P. The double release stopped my flinching. Try a double release before spending the money. Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Obviously the party line is to get a Double Release but for me personally that was the biggest mistake in my entire 60 years of Trapshooting. I have never been able to cope with the damned thing. I have no trigger control and I often get to the 2nd bird with an empty gun. I have had the trigger tuned several times but the problem is me and not the gun. I honestly believe that I would have been better off with Release/Pull and the occasional flinch. I have shot Singles and Handicap with a release for 30 years successfully but I'm getting to hate Doubles especially the short 45 yard Jack in the Box Doubles.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Getting used to the release/release can be frustrating. But once you shoot this setup for awhile you will find it is great. I equate a release/release to shooting a pump action shotgun. You pump the action for the 2nd shot just like you reset the trigger for the 2nd shot with release/release. Once you've shot this setup for awhile it just comes natural to set the trigger for the 2nd shot. Same way with a pump; one ever thinks about pumping the action, it just happens. Release /pull equates to a release/flinch. Good luck.
I wholeheartedly agree with your pump gun analogy. Never thought of it like that but have to agree, After a short time, it just happens.

Obviously the party line is to get a Double Release but for me personally that was the biggest mistake in my entire 60 years of Trapshooting. I have never been able to cope with the damned thing. I have no trigger control and I often get to the 2nd bird with an empty gun. I have had the trigger tuned several times but the problem is me and not the gun. I honestly believe that I would have been better off with Release/Pull and the occasional flinch. I have shot Singles and Handicap with a release for 30 years successfully but I'm getting to hate Doubles especially the short 45 yard Jack in the Box Doubles.
I too had trouble getting to the second target with a loaded gun for awhile. Always shooting behind them. Once I figured out I was loosing my focus on the target causing me to be sloppy things started to change. It’s much better now and more fun!

·
Vendor
765 Posts
If you go to double release you need to set the trigger in the recoil from the first shot. During the recoil it is easy to set the trigger, it kicks you into the set then you are doing nothing on the way to the second target.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I’m with the majority, go double release. Tried release - pull, in less than 6 months it became release - flinch. Its easy to train yourself, with snap caps pick out two spots on your wall and practice.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I started with a release pull and then switched to double release. That was in 1994 and after the switch I started making the list of the top doubles shooters in the country. Make the change to double release and don't look back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts