Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Everyone,

I wanted to show the latest in our stock work. The first is on a K-80 that was done in American Black Walnut. The wood was a rifle blank that we picked up from a local supplier and it turned out very nicely. The second gun & stock is a piece of Fiddle Back Claro Walnut that was supplied by Mr.M from White Creek Gunstocks. It was a piece out of our economy bin that I under priced as it looked very plain in the blank. The fiddle strips in the stock are equal on both sides of the wood adding to the beauty. Thanks to my lovely wife & The Crew for their continued fine craftsmanship. Thanks to everyone that takes a look and thank you for all the comments. Shoot often and have a great day.

Dennis, Cindy & The Crew

Perazzi TM-9-X

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,725 Posts
Not bad lumber in your economy bin, Dennis. Cindy sure saved that one. ;-)

best.... mike

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
Dennis- Have you ever worked with lacewood before?

Don't know anything about it, or even if gunstock size blanks could be had or at what cost, but I was at the woodworking store and a piece of it caught my eye. Looks like some people are making handgun grips with it, and it is used to make guitars as well.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To Skeet man,

We have never worked with Lace Wood as of yet. We have done Pin Oak, Ebony, Maple, Walnut of all kinds and Babbinga. Some of the exotics have restrictions about being imported into the country and other brands of wood are toxic and I will not expose my guys to anything that I know is bad before we start. I am going to work soon with a wood out of China that is very strong and extremely light. When we are done I will post a photo. Thank you again for the feedback.

Dennis DeVault

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It costs as much to feed a mutt as it does a purebred. You do great work, but spending a lot of money for labor on inexpensive walnut, makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fireman,

That job was 6 weeks from start to finish. There are times when we have more time than others and we can push wood thru at a faster pace. We do not have a ton of people running around in the shop just doing wood at this time. I have two guys in the back that fit iron to wood, one person finishing & one person that checkers. As far as real expensive wood goes that is up to the customer, what we are after here is the proper fit for shooting comfort and consistent scores. The beauty is always a plus but the fit and function is number one to us. Have a great turkey day next week and good clay shooting to everyone.

Dennis DeVault

1 - 13 of 13 Posts