Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Don't think I have shot a 25 Straight all winter.

The winds have been howling.

Sometimes snow to go with it.

Al Gore isn't coming through with his Global Warming promises.

And Spring does not look to be "just around the corner."

Makes me want to try a 1-1/4 ounce load #8½ with a modified choke.

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
Hammer:
Don't feel bad, the last 25 straight I've had in winter or summer occurred when the Braves played in Milwaukee.
Steve Balistreri

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Ive had only one.. I dont enjoy shooting with the wind chill at 14, my face feeling like a propane torch is burning my cheeks and my eyes watering like a sugar maple.. before long it will be so hot sweat will be stinging our eyes, and we wont be able to breathe......

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

"... when the Braves played in Milwaukee"

Think my Father watched the Braves play in Boston in 1914.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Boston Braves 1876-1952

Milwaukee Braves 1953-1965

Atlanta Braves 1966-present day

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
I was at the last game that the braves played in Milwaukee. The sound system didn't work that day. It was 1965, I was sitting in the right field bleachers with my younger brother. We took the bus to the game, bus ride was 10cents. The bleacher tickets were 50cents each. When the game ended Hank Aaron and Eddie Matthews ran towards the dugout and turned around and waived to the crowd. The year before the manager, Bobby Bragan told the fans and the press that the Braves would never move to another city. I never forgave him or the owners for the move. We now have the Brewers and it is not the same. It's like you never forget your first love.
Steve Balistreri

·
Registered
68 Posts
Haven't shot a 25 straight this winter also. I really enjoy the comments about the Milwaukee Braves. Dad and I would gather around the radio and listen to the broadcasts. Warren Spahnn was my favorite pitcher. Who could forget Lew Burdette pitching 3 victories in their world series victory back in '58.

Austin Fatts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Hammer,

Weather broke Saturday, was actually above 30 degrees...I ran back to back straights from 16 yards (for the first time in a while) with my Beretta 32" O/U with a Light Mod Briley tube and RIO #7 1/2 HDCP loads. I never shot that combination before, but the heavier loads with an open choke really worked for me.

Try it YOU'LL LIKE IT!!!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Thanks Guys...I've been down on myself, haven't shot a 25 straight since August. Been driving myself nuts trying to figure out why not.Just been shooting a little over a year,and was wondering if I jumped into a sport I shouldn't have.Winter league the fellas talked me into ,I sucked,we won though and banquet this past saturday was great.I needed to here that some of you vets have struggled also,gives me hope for the coming spring and summer.

Doug H.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Steve, the Braves had a farm team in Waycross Georgia in the 50's and 60's and my dad was a pitcher for the A team but due to injury never got called up and he became at trainer. I used to catch for him and several other pitchers at the ball field. I was 13 years old and they thought I would make a good one but I joined the Air Force instead. LOL

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hammer, just got back from shooting. Shot 25 straight, switched guns, shot a round of wobble trap and broke 18. Where is that hypnotheripist? Mike. Oh, almost forgot, wore shorts and sandals. 75 degrees in Fl.Mike

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

"Surprised you had time to shoot hammer?!"

The local trap range is only open on Sundays during the winter.

And I have shot most every Sunday this winter at the local range.

Missed a few due to business travels.

Once a month the local trap range is open on Saturdays for a fun shoot (which is this Saturday by the way).

Don't think I have missed a Saturday fun shoot since early last fall.

When the range is open and I am there, I am among the first to arrive after official opening time (some do arrive before then) and am usually among the last to leave.

Try to shoot as many relays in that time that I can.

I use to be strictly a rifle and handgun shooter.

When I was home, would shoot every day at my ranch.

Since getting into trap two or three years ago, have setup some semi-serious trap shooting on my ranch.

But while rifle and handgun shooting by myself was fine, I have found trap shooting to be something that I really enjoy much better when done with others.

If I was retired and at home all the time and if the range was open every day, I would probably be there every day.

Nah, would still mix in some rifle and handgun work.

And my primary criteria for a retirement setting is no state income tax or inheritance tax and a great shooting range open daily year round.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
A name change to hammer25 may help.

If one does not aim high one will remain mediocre.

Maybe hammer100?

Don Verna

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

"A name change to hammer25 may help.

If one does not aim high one will remain mediocre.

Maybe hammer100?"

Well, then, shouldn't it be Hammer400.

Nah, think the name will remain Hammer1, cause somone told me to shoot them one at a time.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I think I've only shot two straights in skeet all winter - in Birmingham, Ala-dam-bama.

Ah, well.... I'm gonna' kill 'em this Spring.

I grew up in the South - when the Braves were still in Milwaukee and the Dodgers were still in Brooklyn. There were no major league teams in the South. When I listened on the radio, I just assumed Lou Burdette was spelled "Lubber Dett". What an odd name, I thought...... 'Course, us Southern boys thought the sportscar racecar driver Bobby Rahal was spelled "Bobby-Ray Hall".

Shot a 25 straight last Saturday. Followed it up with a 19. Same gun; same shells. Go figure. Old age? Nah!!!

"Shoot sump'um!"
Mike Durhan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.