Trapshooters Forum banner

Dont know much about a Remington 3200? Good? Value?

4544 20
Remington 3200 Competition , 12ga, 30", VG Condition . Has Factory updates, Stock to trigger 14 1/4'' Over/under, Full/Improved modified
30" ribbed barrel Raised rib, white front beadStock: Premier grade walnut Mercury Recoil Reducer in Stock.
Would yo think this is good starter gun for someone in trap?
What would be a fair price for this gun?
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
13,489 Posts
In a word!!!

"NO"

The 3200 had its time. That time has passed. Repairs are way to costly for shotguns that have been shot for pit-n-near 50 years now. You can't get replace barrels. Replacement Wood stocks are all but gone. Thanks to the forearms cracking all the time. Replacement parts will cost you big time at the only repair center left for these ole guns. Check out the repair prices at Laib's before you buy one if you don't want to take my word for it. They were a nice ole shotgun in there day. They still have a small following. But that following is getting smaller every year. Good Luck and don't forget to break em all jeff

· Premium Member
2,618 Posts
I still have the original 3200 consigned to me in 1979. It has NEVER failed to fire, or had a broken part except 1 ejector. Those are not hard to find. Mine has had over 35,000 rounds of doubles through it in all kinds of weather, including the heat of summer when you can fry your fingers on the barrels.

I don't buy for one minute that the 3200 is not robust as some say. Unless it has been shot by a tournament shooter and not cared for, it still has a lot of life. The updates have eliminated most of the stock issues and the forend iron changes have greatly reduced the forend cracking. There are still forends to be had.

What is the serial number of the one you are considering?

Scott Hanes

· Registered
138 Posts
Great shotgun, have friends that shoot and love them, hated mine.

They are definitely a shotgun you have to get in your hands to see if you are going to like it. I'd also think about how much you are going to shoot it. If it's under a couple thousand a year, then no big deal.

If you want one because you want one, then get it. If you are looking for something to shoot and shoot a lot for many years to come, you might consider something else.

· Registered
ATA member and avid competitor, NRA Certified Pistol and Shotgun Instructor and RSO
133 Posts
One of the juniors I know shoots one. When hers broke last year because Remington no longer supplied parts it took months to get repaired. I forget what vendor basically bought all the parts from Remington.

· Registered
441 Posts
I had one a couple of years ago, was almost new in box, 32" barrels and great wood. Later version with factory updates. Wanted to like the gun but couldn't. First problem was occasionally the bottom barrel would fail to fire, second I couldn't hit consistently with it. It is definitely a gun to try first before buying.

· Registered
2,386 Posts
OP: 3200 will be a fine starter trap gun if updates have been done. Personally, I believe in "buy once, cry once" as you can find a high condition Krieghoff M32 properly set up for not a great deal more. The problem with the M32 is that it takes away the trap shooter's almost uncontrollable urge to trade shotguns. If you are immune from this dreaded malady, the M32 is for you. Good luck.

· Registered
4,401 Posts
There is a guy in MN that has anything you need for repairs of a 3200. He is a 3200 expert and does ALL the updates you may need. Turn around time is about 10 days max. I have two 3200's and love them, one gets shot and the other hugged cause it's pretty!

Price wise, if all updates are done, a really nice 3200 comp will bring 1500 to 1800. 32" barrels add some.

· Sky Buster
4,481 Posts
There is a guy in MN that has anything you need for repairs of a 3200. He is a 3200 expert and does ALL the updates you may need. Turn around time is about 10 days max. I have two 3200's and love them, one gets shot and the other hugged cause it's pretty!

Price wise, if all updates are done, a really nice 3200 comp will bring 1500 to 1800. 32" barrels add some.
I spoke with one of the top rated gunsmiths who is frequently on this forum about my
intention to buy a 3200. He recommended against it as parts availability and cost
is prohibitive. He would also would not install a release trigger in a 3200.

· Registered
4,401 Posts
Both Gary Roman and Phillips will install releases in 3200's without objection. I trust the gunsmith in MN, his prices are reasonable and repairs are great. There is a retired Remington gunsmith in Pinckneyville, IL that does 3200 repairs and has an ample supply of parts. I would not hesitate to buy a 3200 that is tight and has the updates.

· Registered
1 Posts
I still have the original 3200 consigned to me in 1979. It has NEVER failed to fire, or had a broken part except 1 ejector. Those are not hard to find. Mine has had over 35,000 rounds of doubles through it in all kinds of weather, including the heat of summer when you can fry your fingers on the barrels.

I don't buy for one minute that the 3200 is not robust as some say. Unless it has been shot by a tournament shooter and not cared for, it still has a lot of life. The updates have eliminated most of the stock issues and the forend iron changes have greatly reduced the forend cracking. There are still forends to be had.

What is the serial number of the one you are considering?

Scott Hanes
Serial number OU 7673. Any idea the value?

· Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Very early gun. Updated? If done by old Remington, it would have a "." between the OU and the serial number. Also, as with all the updated guns, there would be two hex-head screws visible at the bottom of the face of the breech. If no upgrades, it should be $700-800. If upgraded, then add $700. This is for a mint to 95% condition gun. As the condition goes down the value goes down. Pretty hard to say without some PICTURES!!

Scott Hanes

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.