Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Spolar is usually bullet proof, however, I am not a bullet. I was changing from gauges tonight, 12 to 28, when I got distracted by my 27 yo offspring. I changed the dies and wad guide but got distracted by the son and instead of changing the 12 for the 28, I put the 12 turret back on. When I cycled it with the hydraulic it would not cyclic (well duh). Well I then removed the charge bar and initially it still wouldn't cycle. More dismantling. Turns out the small conduit pipe from the powder bottle to the powder drop tube with my screw up had pushed up and was obstructing the movement of the charge bar. Had to tap the pipe back into place, nothing I like better than taking my machine apart multiple times. Took some sandpaper to smooth out the pipe and powder drop tube. Loaded about 325 shells . I also got to see the new shot conduit in action. It worked like a charm, no shot bridging, and I was loading 7 1/2 into the little 28's. My Spolar works as well today as the day I bought it 24 years ago..
My flinch got so bad I have taken a break from trap, however, I am shooting sporting clays. Had an absolute blast shooting my 28 gauge Benelli Legacy .

Reactions: phatkaw

·
Registered
402 Posts
My Spolar is usually bullet proof, however, I am not a bullet. I was changing from gauges tonight, 12 to 28, when I got distracted by my 27 yo offspring. I changed the dies and wad guide but got distracted by the son and instead of changing the 12 for the 28, I put the 12 turret back on. When I cycled it with the hydraulic it would not cyclic (well duh). Well I then removed the charge bar and initially it still wouldn't cycle. More dismantling. Turns out the small conduit pipe from the powder bottle to the powder drop tube with my screw up had pushed up and was obstructing the movement of the charge bar. Had to tap the pipe back into place, nothing I like better than taking my machine apart multiple times. Took some sandpaper to smooth out the pipe and powder drop tube. Loaded about 325 shells . I also got to see the new shot conduit in action. It worked like a charm, no shot bridging, and I was loading 7 1/2 into the little 28's. My Spolar works as well today as the day I bought it 24 years ago..
My flinch got so bad I have taken a break from trap and shooting sporting clays. Had an absolute blast shooting my 28 gauge Benelli Legacy .
Glad the 28 is working for you and keeps you shooting. A good friend started a pause a year ago this week and still hasn't come back.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
We had a sub-gauge event for our club's Family fun night, and a guy on my team won it with a 28 ga. A400 Xplor. I keep looking at the Stevens 28 ga. 555's CDNN has on sale for $500......I already know they kick like a mule, but so does a friend's Rizzini 28 ga. Every since a Beretta dealer Demo day at Horse & Hunt many years ago, I have had a thing for 28 ga. O/U's.

So the Spolar is not Charlie-proof. But you were able to fix it. Glad you got it cranking out those 28's.
nothing I like better than taking my machine apart multiple times.
Don't become a gunsmith. Trigger work in particular requires that. 😉
Have to admit, I've never changed a shotgun reloading machine's gauge, but there's always a first. I'm working on acquiring 16 SxS now, and that might be worth converting the 20 ga. MEC Grabber that is collecting dust. I get it about your son distracting you, my oldest is the same age. I'll make sure he's not around to pester me if I change that over. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We had a sub-gauge event for our club's Family fun night, and a guy on my team won it with a 28 ga. A400 Xplor. I keep looking at the Stevens 28 ga. 555's CDNN has on sale for $500......I already know they kick like a mule, but so does a friend's Rizzini 28 ga. Every since a Beretta dealer Demo day at Horse & Hunt many years ago, I have had a thing for 28 ga. O/U's.

So the Spolar is not Charlie-proof. But you were able to fix it. Glad you got it cranking out those 28's.

Don't become a gunsmith. Trigger work in particular requires that. 😉
Have to admit, I've never changed a shotgun reloading machine's gauge, but there's always a first. I'm working on acquiring 16 SxS now, and that might be worth converting the 20 ga. MEC Grabber that is collecting dust. I get it about your son distracting you, my oldest is the same age. I'll make sure he's not around to pester me if I change that over. ;)
Changing a Spolar is pretty simple, fixing my mistake wasn't. In my business life and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Seems to apply here also.

Reactions: entropy

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I resemble that remark

As a decades long loader of shotgun shells, I have made some major boo-boos in my career. If you load long enough, it WILL happen sooner or later.

As you said, distractions while loading can be a problem, and we all need to be attentive while pursuing this hobby.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts