Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filled my Ohio tag this morning. Out of time to take even a short trip. I’m going to try to help a friend fill his tag a few days next week
Botany Organism Terrestrial plant Trunk Wood

Plant Hunting Tree Camouflage Hat

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice hooks! Congratulations on a great season. I didn’t get to hunt but about 4 times, was lucky enough to call in a nice bird on the first Saturday here in Mo. In the areas that I hunt there aren’t nearly as many birds as we used to have. When I was young we hunted in the Mark Twain Lake area and could hear 15-20 birds gobbling from some of the high ridges. That day seems to be gone for now. Keeping my fingers crossed for a comeback!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw more jakes this year than in a long time, so maybe we will have a turn around
Nice hooks! Congratulations on a great season. I didn’t get to hunt but about 4 times, was lucky enough to call in a nice bird on the first Saturday here in Mo. In the areas that I hunt there aren’t nearly as many birds as we used to have. When I was young we hunted in the Mark Twain Lake area and could hear 15-20 birds gobbling from some of the high ridges. That day seems to be gone for now. Keeping my fingers crossed for a comeback!

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
I didn’t hunt again this year as I am not seeing enough birds to want to kill one but did see more this year than last year.
I have a high vantage point where I can watch several fields on 3 farms and do so sitting in my vehicle with a good set of binoculars.
Biggest group I saw this year was 7 birds.
Had not heard about going to 1 bird but do think it is a good idea.

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Unless something is done, like the bounty system in South Dakota, the nest robbing vermin may completely eliminate the turkey population. With no one trapping any longer the racoon population has exploded.
The influx of Coyotes as well. When I was a kid growing up in Western KY we didn't HAVE Coyotes ! I've seen more Bob Cats on my visits there in the last two years than I saw there in all the yeas I lived there. They have destroyed the quail numbers and they will do the same for turkeys

1 - 19 of 19 Posts