Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Short version: Just bought an expensive Perazzi combo from Don. He took the time to take and send extra pictures I requested. He spent time with me on the phone answering my long list of questions. He was friendly, intelligent, honest, fair, and made this a great experience on a gun that was even better than expected.

Long version:

I come from a hunting, shooting, sporting family. My very first "real" job as a kid was working at Portland Gun Club. Setting targets, maintaining equipment, driving a tractor to haul trailer loads of targets out to the houses, pulling, etc. I don't even know if it was "legal" to work at that age back then, but I started in junior high and worked there (in addition to other jobs) all the way up until I joined the Navy.

I had the chance to shoot with and learn from guys like Moe Bragg (SoftTouch inventor), Daro Handy, Jack Leonard, and a whole bunch of ATA and PITA greats. I was also mentored by guys who never won championships, but just loved the sport. Arnold, who always showed up at the club in an old beat-up Buick or Lincoln wearing dirty overalls and boots, would proceed to pull out an enviable collection of Ljutic, Perazzi, and Krieghoff guns - cut, sanded, covered in duct tape and whatever latest gadget he had epoxied somewhere.

During that time, I was in love with the Perazzi DB81. It was the most beautiful trap gun I had ever seen. At that age, I couldn't even imagine having enough money to be able to own something like that.

Fast-forward 3 decades, and my oldest daughter is in college. My other three kids are getting older and finding their interests (including shooting). I have a more flexible work schedule, and the time and money to get back to trap shooting. What gun would I like to purchase to kick-off my return to trap? A DB81, of course! I spent some time considering a new MX10 or MX2000 with adjustable rib. Despite being newer, and in some cases fancier, I still loved the look (and remembered the swing) of the DB81. I looked at K80's, but don't really love the Remington 3200 I have, and the K80 reminds me a lot of that. I was almost convinced to buy an American-made Kolar Max T/A combo... but no matter the good intellectual reasons for considering one, I have always wanted a Perazzi.

When I saw the ad for Don's DB81 and how long it had been since there was activity, I assumed it had to have already been sold. It wasn't. When I saw the Harlan Campbell stock, I worried, what if it didn't fit me and I had to spend more money on wood? Don still had the original wood with 4-way adjustable comb, in great shape! I live out near Park City, UT and already have plans to spend Christmas in North Texas with my wife and kids, mom and dad, brothers and their wives and kids. Big item on the agenda was to go trap/skeet/clays shooting while we're there. Don lives in a town that is right next to my folks on one side, and my youngest brother on the other.

Call it coincidence, fate, providence, or a blessing from God, but all the circumstances aligned at the right time in the right place to allow me to purchase my dream gun from Don Rackley, and shoot it for the first time with my dad and brothers this Christmas.

Thanks, Don! Merry Christmas to me!

-Bob

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
There's a bunch of us who lusted after that gun. A VERY merry Christmas for you!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
There's a bunch of us who lusted after that gun. A VERY merry Christmas for you!
There was a couple of times I thought about contacting him, but I just wanted it, I didn't need it. Like cortopar, I have an emotional attachment to that model, it's one that I knew my grandfather shot, along with an MX3. Every time one comes up for sale I have to think about it and then put the phone down.

It's a really fantastic gun, you made a great purchase.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
If that were on the "hot girls with guns" thread, I'd be looking at the gun.

·
Registered
752 Posts
cortopar,

Congratulations on your recent purchase of a BEAUTIFUL Perazzi DB81 !!! Proud and happy to consider Don a close friend and competitor, who I always look forward to seeing when shooting at an event at the National Shooting Complex in San Antonio. Wish I could make it up to his area and shoot on his "home turf", but I'm already tired of him beating me on my home turf ! LOL I'm like yourself, I ran across his For Sale ad and looked really hard at that gun myself, but being Krieghoff broke already, didn't know how I could "hide" that beautiful DB81 from my significant other. Shoot her well, and congrats on having the "stars align" in North Texas and everything working out for you on your new shooting iron. Hope you might be able to come down to SA in April of 2016 and shoot with us at the Southwestern Grand. Would love to meet you and see that gun in-person. Have a great day.

Mike Hessong
Victoria, TX

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hope you might be able to come down to SA in April of 2016 and shoot with us at the Southwestern Grand. Would love to meet you and see that gun in-person. Have a great day.
Thanks for the kind words, Mike. San Antonio's not hard to get to, and I've never shot down there. You might just see me there!

Funny side note - after all the years of being around ATA/PITA events, lots of on and off shooting since then, ATA membership for a long time... I've never shot a registered target. That's going to change this year.

Bob

·
Registered
752 Posts
Bob (cortopar),

You definitely have a great gun to started bustin' some registered targets with. I'm kind of like you as well. Starting shooting clays targets back in 1981 when I began work at a chemical plant in Victoria that had a skeet and trap range, joined the ATA in 1983 to get better at trap, shot 300 singles and 300 handicap, and never fired at another registered trap target til I joined the ATA again in 2011 !!! Shot all kinds of clay targets between those years, but really love registered trap now, along with anything ele you can shoot with a shotgun. Hope you make it over to Texas again. Have a great day.

Mike* (MH*)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I got my son a like new db81.he broke his first 50x50 on Sunday. I always wanted one since 81. Instead I i got a tmx and mx8 combo .all great guns.congratulations and enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Nice looking DB...Now get it off the kitchen table before your wife comes in...

·
Vendor
2,170 Posts
A buddy of mine told me to read this thread..........

The truth is, I think the DB81 came out ahead on this deal! It no longer has to put up with me and belongs to a gentleman that is as nice as you could ask to meet. He asked all the right questions, wants to get into shooting and will take good care of the gun.

Thanks to all you guys for the kind comments and I look forward to reading about Bob's accomplishments with the gun!

And, yes, Bob, Merry Christmas to you!

Don

1 - 17 of 17 Posts