Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any normal rules regarding bringing your dog to the gun club, and in the club house? What's your clubs policy?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I belong to two different clubs. One is reluctant to letting dogs in the club house and the other is no dogs or animals. If your club serves food or has a state license to serve food, then the club allowing dogs are out of compliance with food safety.

David McMillen

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
We have traveled across the country for the past 17 years with a dog in tow. With the exception of the California state shoot, there were never any restrictions about dogs on the grounds. CA had a rule of no dogs along the trapline and are restricted to a certain section of the campground. Most clubs will not allow a dog in the clubhouse due to state health codes, which is very understandable. Just because I'm a "dog person" doesn't mean that everyone else loves my dog the way I do and I respect their space. I also try very hard to be a responsible dog owner. My dog is always on a leash (he isn't smart enough to come when called so this is very necessay and he is still a puppy who is learning his manners). I clean up after my dog, of course I've been known to clean up after grown men and little children as well. It is amazing how many shooters travel with dogs. I can't imagine my life right now without my warm, fuzzy buddy.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Most clubs I visit allow dogs on grounds, but not in the club house. I personally don't have a problem with any bringing their dog as long as they are well mannered.

Being a "responsible" dog owner is something else. Not everyone picks up after their dog.. which to me is inexcusable!!

·
Registered
14,688 Posts
I'm a dog guy, and I don't believe dogs should be in a clubhouse unless food is not being served that day or night.

Not everyone has control of their dog. And you may think your dog is cool and everyone does too, but that's not the case.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes as I matter of fact I do think that. I think exactly that. He is under my control and he won't be in anybody's damn clubhouse either, so chill..

Jon Reitz

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't think any dog should be allowed on gun club grounds, without letting me pet it. Your opinions may vary....Even Trons.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've been to a club where a guy brings his dog to almost every shoot and brings him in the club house. The dog is well trained and I've honestly never heard him call for him or give him any command for that matter. He never leaves his leg and always is friendly. Most dogs are not that way though.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
It's amazing how many pets control thier owners and are bad parents to boot.

I've had dogs and other animals life long and have always endeavored to keep them from intruding into peoples space. I have no problem if people bring pets to the club as long as they're away from the trapline and always on a lease not running loose as some allow. They should never be allowed in the clubhouse nor the porch area, they are animals not people and should be treated as such.

I think the way Kingsburg handles animals separating campers into separate camp area is fair for pet and none pet owners.

Don't get me wrong I love doggies and most love me.

Surfer

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
All of my dogs went to my home club, and all other clubs I shot at. None of them were allowed in the clubhouse, unless I was there working on a non-shooting day. That being said, I have no problem with a dog on the porch, so long as it is well behaved. My last Lab would come to the line with me during practice, sit, and move to the second post, where she would lie down. She would move to post 3 if asked, but that was it! She would lie down and wait for the shooting to be done. The guys I shot with were all dog people, so they would visit with her when she was beside them, and nobody had a problem with that. During competition, she was either at the truck, or tied behind the trap I was shooting on. My present dog loses focus when asked to sit too long, and will wander off aimlessly, so she is either tied, or in the truck, while shooting is happening.

As others have posted, if food is being prepared, dogs should be kept outside, but if it just a shelter-type of clubhouse, it is up to the club to regulate how they want dogs to be handled.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ive seen a dog on a leash knock a gun off a rack. Dogs sre great at a club until your gun gets knocked around or your paying for one that your dog knocked around.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I don't know about everyone else's dog being under control Setter. I know about mine. He's the one I'm responsible for.

I've seen people knock guns off gun racks. Maybe you should leash them...

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Jon cheats. Copper is so well trained it's not fair to all the others that aren't. Copper is welcome to babysit for little Tommy anytime.

On the other hand, anyone who allows an annoying barking dog at a trapshoot while the owner is nowhere to be found should be drawn and quartered-along with his dog!!

·
Supporting Vendor
9,960 Posts
I don't have a problem with dogs, but I do have a big problem with bad dog owners. Not EVERYONE loves YOUR dog! Keep it on a leash and control its barking or DON'T BRING IT!!

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
I have seen a squad stop shooting (this was a $1,000 handicap shoot) because of a dog continually barking right behind them. In another instance I saw a guy put his gun up against a tree between sub events and when they went back to the line he discovered that he had put the gun in dog poop after he shouldered it. I've seen dogs knock over little kids but no guns yet.

Don't get me wrong I love dogs and am in between one right now but there is a time and place for them.

P.S. For the younger shooters the dogs do seem to be a chick magnet. lol

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
A few months after Leo and I got married, we got our first dog, MacDuff. Mac was Leo's buddy, no doubt about it. He came to us in Feb and in May we took him to his first MO state shoot. Mac loved to ride on the golf cart with Leo, always anchored by a leash. My dad (George Herron) was on the MTA board at that time and spent alot of time roaming the trapline, keeping an eye on what was happening. As dad approached the trap where Leo was shooting, he was surprised to see Mac sitting calmly between Leo's feet as he was shooting. Mac had slipped his leash and wanted to be with his daddy. Leo's waistline prevented him from seeing Mac. Dad retrieved Mac from the 16 yd line and returned him to the golf cart, no harm done, but a sweet memory.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I've been a dog owner all my life and think dogs are the best pet going but they have to be well-trained so they don't offend other people. The ATA president of 20+ years ago lived locally and raised black Labs. He would occasionally shoot at a club I frequented on Saturday mornings and bring several pups with him (trolling for buyers?) that he would allow to run loose. When shooters on the club's four traps would express concern over injury to the dogs or complain about the distraction, he would tie them on the clubhouse porch. Then they barked incessantly.

Fortunately, he didn't shoot there very often - only about once every time a litter was of sale age.

Ed

1 - 20 of 75 Posts