Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting after the 1st of the year I've got a job that will require me to work off site of my shop for 6 weeks or so. I got a dog that I will have to leave alone for 9 to 10 hours during the day. I don't want to put her in a crate that long. Now she roams the shop while I'm there. She gets into everything, I can't leave her unsupervised. Now she has an Igloo doghouse and kennel she can run in. I'm just worried about the cold, if I leave her in there for a long time.

Thinking about a heater for the Igloo. Looking for ideas. Thought about a 100watt bulb, or heat pad, but since she is a pup, I'm worried about her chewing through the pad or cord. I've seen several heaters on the net with prices all over the place. Just wondering if anybody can make a recomend for a particular model or make?

Just wondering if you guys have heaters in your dog's house or kennel? This dog spends the night sleeping inside, so she is not totally acclimented to the outside cold climate.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I had beagles in NE wisconsin. They had a box inside the garage with canvas flaps for doors to go out into the run. The box had cheap styrofoanm insulation.

I used to hang a trouble light with a guard on the bulb inside when it got below zero.

100 watts was too much, used a 60 watt bulb. I really think they didn't need it, since they often slept in the other compartment with no bulb.

HM

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you want to go deluxe, Google Hound Heater for information and dealers. I have one in the insulated dog box for my Setter. It will require an electric outlet, and some installation, but it works great and has an adjustable thermostat. As I recall, it cost about $95.

·
Registered
14,684 Posts
Dogs can handle a lot of cold weather, they actually prefer it. Give them a place to get out of the wind, and an insulated floor and they'll generate most of their own heat. Food and water is important.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
They make a 500watt 110V base board with a thermostat. You can set it for any temp you want. It's about a foot long and works perfect for a dog house. It won't get hot enough to burn the pup. I used one for a long time when I had dogs.

Ajax

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Another possible alternative, if one is available in your area, is "Doggie Day-Care". We have one just down the road from us. It will day kennel your dog, and allow them an outside fenced in run. Food and medicines (if needed) can be given. There is a person on site to check and exercise your dog.

This is not always available but if it is, you can check the price on a long term contract (a month or more) or shorter daily or weekly rates.

Check the pick up and drop off hours to see if they match your needs. Sometimes you can arrange for some basic training, at extra cost, to take place during the day but that varies from place to place.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
You didn't mention the breed of dog or state you live in.

I had a big male lab that had to be left in a kennel all day here in MI.

Built him an insulated house (insulate all 6 sides) with a thick door flap. He was just fine.

Start with very warm water in his bowl and it won't freeze quickly.
Bill

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I have inside the house dogs. During the winter they are outside a lot. I use an electric horse bucket for their water. Plug the bucket into a 110v. outlet and the water doesn't freeze, but it doesnt get hot either. They are available at Tractor Supply. Water is more important than anything.

Chuck

·
Registered
691 Posts
You can't beat straw. Get a bale take the sections apart and shove in dog house,pack it in loose but fill it . The dogs just love it and stay warm. It is safe no danger from electrical wires etc. They will crawl in and make a nice warm bed. When I was a kid my Black and Tan couldn't wait til I got it filled so he could make his bed. My Beagles loved it too. Keep the rest of the straw in a big covered plastic garbage can with wheels . Ken de Finnish Genius Yes they have one! Me smile, damn it

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Bisi, I have a large Igloo for my big Lab/hound dog. There isn't any extra room in an Igloo for a hot light. Young dogs chew on everything so you have a dilemma. You may be better off using another house with room for a light.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the ideas guys. I got her Igloo doghouse sitting on top of a couple of inches of styrofoam. That should insulate the house from the cold coming from the ground. I need to find a door for her house now, or rig up some kind of flap to help keep the wind out.

She's a Beagle that showed up a couple of months ago. I've had em before, so I know they are a hearty dog. She somehow wiggled, connived her way into sleeping inside from the very first day. Now she stays in the kennel and sleeps in the Igloo only when I'm gone for short periods of time. At night she sleeps in my bed. So that is why I worry about her getting cold inside the Igloo for 9 to 10 hours straight.

I was thinking about getting another dog, just didn't know what breed. The only thing I knew for sure was - that the next dog wasn't going to be a Beagle. Great dogs, but too damn hard headed, and I'm getting too old to chase them chasing rabbits. So what shows up at the door? A damn Beagle.

Thanks again for the ideas.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ceadar shavings work well softer then hay and dog smells good when you come out to
see them , used them in the winter with out side hunting dogs for years and they worked well!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hound Heater / Dog House Heater. Simply mount the unit, set the thermostat, and for forget it. Your dogs will love you if you live in a cold climate. $99.95, Gun Dog Supply 1-800-624-6378. Have had mine for three winters, and it beats anything I have ever found.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I insulated the dog house (all 6 sides) with styrofoam used cedar shavings and placed a 60 watt bulb in a porcelain fixture in a metal electrical box. All wires the dog could get to were BX metal sheathing. My dog had a better insulated house than mine. He loved it. Good luck. jack

1 - 17 of 17 Posts