Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What manufactures choose their forend wood from the same tree as the stock vs just pulling ‘close matches’ from different bins?

Specifically, is there a grade of wood where the forend and butt stock will be a matched set?

i think Krieghoff could have done a better job matching on this one... *ADDED* - Krieghoff did the best that can be expected considering the unique two-tone coloring of the butt stock, just thought I'd share this interesting wood scenario and poke a little fun at a really tough piece of wood to match up to.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Yes and no . My K-gun Vintage scroll came with nice matching wood , but had a Schnabel foreend & that was kind of small for my big hand . The stock I still have & a close matching piece forearm wood I used on an other gun . The rest of the gun is long gone . I've seen some Perazzi's with a great matching wood set ,but on the once with adj. comb ,the comb seem to be from an other tree

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,935 Posts
My preference? I won’t buy a gun unless the forend and stock matched, and if the stock has an adjustable comb, the grain lines between the comb and stock better line up.
Sometimes the grain won’t exactly match between forend and stock because they are often cut at different ends of the same block, but the color needs to match.
This is why a true matched pair of “Best” grade doubles cost so much. The forend and stock are a perfect match on each gun, and each gun is a match to the other.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All my shotguns seem to match well. I will say that I have seen quite a few shotguns on a rack that seem to look off.

Did you use the soap to clean the wood and tru oil to refinish?
Sorry for the confusion, the oil was not for this gun. The stock was refinished when the adjustable comb was put in years ago, but it isn’t an oil finish, seems to be the same finish as the factory.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
What manufactures choose their forend wood from the same tree as the stock vs just pulling ‘close matches’ from different bins?

Specifically, is there a grade of wood where the forend and butt stock will be a matched set?

i think Krieghoff could have done a better job matching on this one...
Honestly, your wood on the grip of your stock doesn't match the main part of the stock. Clearly it's from the same tree, since it is a solid piece of wood. Actually, I don't think the forend wood is too far off from the dark part of your stock.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Figured wood grain is never consistent! ....Two pieces can be cut from the same board and grain will rarely be the same.

Straight-grained wood can usually be matched quite easily.

Reactions: Steve W

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
some of my winchester 50 high grades would first appear to be off...until you turn it in the sun. its just the way the light hits it and reflects in the grain.
take it inside....and youd swear one was brown and one was red.....after just seeing it in the sun!

·
Registered
14,779 Posts
Was that ever SOLD as a complete set? The stock set obviously isn't original to the receiver, so both pieces may not even be original to each other. It is also extremely possible that they matched closer in color before the refinish, esp if they were stained to match.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

i think Krieghoff could have done a better job matching on this one...
I think blaming Krieghoff when the stock obviously isn't factory and has been refinished is in bad form. That's like blaming Ford for the clear coat peeling when you repainted it in your garage....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Was that ever SOLD as a complete set? The stock set obviously isn't original to the receiver, so both pieces may not even be original to each other. It is also extremely possible that they matched closer in color before the refinish, esp if they were stained to match.
How can you tell the stock set isn't original to the receiver?

Also, my apologies to everyone who felt I was blaming Krieghoff for a bad match. I was trying to be a little tongue-in-cheek because the butt stock is two completely different colors delineated at the grip. It would be an incredibly tough stock to match! Krieghoff did just fine, I imagine their stock picker was really scratching his head on this one and I was poking a little fun at that scenario.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.