Trapshooters Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
The only time it screws with my head is when I can't hear them call out the lost birds or the scores. It's happened to me before and it throws me off my game a little

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi all,was shooting at my club yesterday and was wondering if this messes with the shooters on the line,if a shooter misses the bird and the puller says LOSS load enough for everyone to hear,would that lovely word stick in your head enough to make you miss also,starting to see why people squad with the same shooters,we had a couple new shooters on the line and they missed more than they hit and all i kept hearing was LOSS.
I know i need to deal with the distraction,but maybe the puller shouldn't say it at all or quieter.
Any thoughts.
I want the puller to call losses loud enough for everyone to hear,if they don't and there is a piece off the target no one can call it dead.Most scorers admit they are not perfect and will correctimproper loss calls if another shooter or more call it

·
Registered
887 Posts
I want the puller to call losses loud enough for everyone to hear,if they don't and there is a piece off the target no one can call it dead.Most scorers admit they are not perfect and will correctimproper loss calls if another shooter or more call it
I think you need to read your post. You're saying if the scorer doesn't call a target dead with a visible chip, nobody can. At least this is how I read it.

PD

·
Banned
2,822 Posts
As long as they ain't callin loss on my target...I prefer "I'm sorry sir but you didn't break that target".
I prefer "Sorry, sir, but that target must have been made of an exceptionally hard material for it to fail to properly respond to an obviously-well centered shot. The rules, however, require that I place a large "O" on your scoresheet anyway. My apologies, and carry on."

·
Registered
898 Posts
I think you need to read your post. You're saying if the scorer doesn't call a target dead with a visible chip, nobody can. At least this is how I read it.

PD
I took him to mean that if no one heard "lost" then no one would know to challenge that call if a piece was clearly visible.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I will no longer keep score at our clubs registered shoots because I’m sick of trying to please everyone how loud to call “loss”. One squad it’s too loud. The next not loud enough.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I will no longer keep score at our clubs registered shoots because I’m sick of trying to please everyone how loud to call “loss”. One squad it’s too loud. The next not loud enough.
Aw, c’mon - if the shooters don’t appreciate you volunteering to score them - as long as you’re accurate and make the effort to keep them informed- then they can go to hell! I always make it a point (and also teach youth shooters) to thank the scorers after a round - no matter how they called it. We all need to remember that without the volunteers that make shoots possible we’d be at home dying on the couch in front of our TV’s! So thank you for scoring, please continue to do so whenever you’re able. I encourage everyone to take a turn at scoring, or reloading the traps, or doing any of the myriad of things that need done to conduct a shoot. BTW - I firmly believe that scoring can teach a person a lot about trap shooting that just can’t be learned otherwise. Give it a try!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hearing the word loss every time just before you get ready to shoot can be mine numbing but it is no different than a fidgety person around you you have to learn to work through it

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi all,was shooting at my club yesterday and was wondering if this messes with the shooters on the line,if a shooter misses the bird and the puller says LOSS load enough for everyone to hear,would that lovely word stick in your head enough to make you miss also,starting to see why people squad with the same shooters,we had a couple new shooters on the line and they missed more than they hit and all i kept hearing was LOSS.
I know i need to deal with the distraction,but maybe the puller shouldn't say it at all or quieter.
Any thoughts.
I tend to zone out and just focus on the bird and honestly never really cared or though about the ref when another shooter is up, but if it bothers you, let it motivate you instead !!

·
Registered
909 Posts
It's a whole lote better hearing lost on the miss than hearing it after you complete your post and learn of it swhen your score is recorded.

Dusty

·
Registered
145 Posts
Any thoughts.
Sarge you should be used to loud noises
:)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I do not have a problem with the scorer calling out lost if he is away from the mic's and not setting off an other target . If the shooter to my right would not call for a target to fast then it is not a problem one way or an other

·
Registered
22 Posts
Only once did I let this bother me. I was shooting at a private club and the traps did not have a delay set. The scorer would yell lost so loud that it would set the trap off as you would start too mount the gun. Would have not been that bad but the person to my left really missed a lt of birds.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Any thoughts.
I've seen the guy on #1 miss and like a machinegun everyone down the line misses. It happened all the time in the days of the Winchester trap throwing a three hole target. Because everyone timed the target (read the machine). But, not so much anymore, only two or three misses in a row, not five.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
No disrespect intended for MIA Kuhn.
I think?
Not trying to Hijack this thread. But I just read this one, and I'm wondering What happened to Joe & Johnny??Would be interesting to see how is Reloader Project is coming along and what has he gotten into lately?? Anyone know the Answer?? Thanks
Brent

41 - 59 of 59 Posts