Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure all of you have seen a near miss alter the flight path of a target significantly. Is the shot stream pushing the target as it nears, or pulling the target as it passes? I am intentionally trying not to be technical here.

I've heard it both ways, and in my feeble mind only one can be correct. This occurs most of the time I miss a straightaway, and I would like to know if I am under or over the target.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm sure all of you have seen a near miss alter the flight path of a target significantly. Is the shot stream pushing the target as it nears, or pulling the target as it passes? I am intentionally trying not to be technical here.

I've heard it both ways, and in my feeble mind only one can be correct. This occurs most of the time I miss a straightaway, and I would like to know if I am under or over the target.
The shot string has nothing to do with it, after all.....you missed. The altered flight path is just the target rubbing it in your face after you missed it.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
When shooting skeet on station 4 which is a right angle crossing target. You can see the target stop
in mid air when it meets the shot string. You don't get to see things like that in trap singles. That is because all the targets are
moving away from the shooter. HMB

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does a 747 have a wake? a bike? a car? can you feel a feather when its waved in front of you? YES shot can move a target. It is PUSHING

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I have never seen the shot miss the target and make the target move. Maybe what you are seeing it the target moving to avoid being hit by the shot.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
I bet everyone is now wondering what percentage of a shot string is air? Let's see, a #8 pellet is .o9 inches in diameter. The air it displaces is the area of the circle it it is making in the air. So, the area of that circle is determined by our old friend "pie are square". Doing the math, the area of a pellet is .002 square inches. Let's be generous and say that out there at about 35 yards there are still about 400 pellets in a 30 inch, shot string pattern. 400 x .002 equals 2.83 total square inches of shot.

So, how many square inches in the pattern? Doing our pie are square math we find that there is about 706.5 square inches in a 30 inch pattern. As such, if we divide our 2.83 by 706.50 we find that the shot only makes up 0.004 % of the 30 inch pattern or 99.6% of the pattern is air. But wait, that is only a flat dimension. The main shot string may be at least 6 feet long! Bummer! Pellets obviously make up a tiny percentage of a shot string and those little pellets hardly generate any wake individually and many of these mini wakes are counteracting each other.

So how can a shot string generate any organized wake at all sufficient to move anything?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Our Club will frequently insert a "rubber" target in the machine placed just so it will come up when it's my turn to shoot. I swear, sometimes the target will turn a somersault and not break. REALLY.
Marc

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
It's like driving around a semi truck. The front of the semi pushes the air out of the way and the back creates a slip stream. It depends on whether you are in front of or behind the target when you miss it. You could be moving the target by pushing it with the air, or catching it in the slipstream. It's just like you can't read the breaks, you can't read the misses by how it moves the target.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Here is a series of rising placements of the center of the shot cloud. The "- 4" is the lowest shot that hits a target with at least a pellet; "+4" at the end of the clip is the highest placement that still hits something. Hit the expand button to get the full effect.

http://www.mn-trap.org/target_chall...target_break_movies/TBF_rising_POA breaks.mp4

As you see, there was no "wind" effect on any of the shots; the target is entirely unaffected by the passing shot or the approaching shot for that matter.

Note also, of course, that the targets break the same way when the main body of the shot-charget is below the target as they do when the main body of the shot-charge is above it. That's why you can't read target breaks.

Yours in Sport,

Neil

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
YES shot can move a target. It is PUSHING
Yeah, when the shot hits it. I think what the OP is seeing, is when the shot hits the target deflecting it but does not break. The wind moving it as it goes by is hogwash.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts