Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not reload and I only shoot 16 yd trap. Do I really need to shoot AA's or STS's or am I just fine to shoot the Rio's and other cheap stuff and toss the hulls? Sorry if this has been beat to death.

·
Registered
13,623 Posts
Depends on what level of shooter you are. If you're in a position for 1 target could cost you thousands of dollars, then it makes sense to shoot the best ammunition available. There are only a handful of people that it will make any difference for.

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
I have never lost a target at 16 yard singles due to any problem with Wally world Federals, Rem Gun Clubs, Rio's or Fiocchi shells. The shells are plenty good enough.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I reload and I shoot STSs & Nitro's. FWIW if I didn't reload I'd shoot Estates or Gun Clubs and drop the hulls in the closest dumpster.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You'll have no problem using Rios . . . as long as they work in your gun.

There are complaints online of Rios getting stuck in semi-autos and failing to extract. The theory is that the heat and pressure from ignition swells the "brass" (I think it's really steel) and when the auto tries to automatically extract it, it jams.

Whatever the theory; I personally experienced this last weekend while shooting a pump. I switched to cheap-o Federals and had zero issues. And I have zero issues with the exact same Rio shells in break-action guns. And maybe I just got a bad lot of shells.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,971 Posts
Like Ian said, it depends on what level you're at. If you're below A class, then not really.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts