Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I meant Bobby Ward, not Booby! Fliiiiinch! No disrespect intended. I think the real benefit is trueing/tuning the barrel to the specific choke constriction for the yardage. and thinking I`ve got the "Hot Set Up".

·
Registered
310 Posts
Neil,

Do you have data comparing velocities of over-bore barrels to standard small bore using the same loads? I know this would vary greatly depending on the wad's abiltiy to flex in the powder cup area to seal against the bore. Just wondering what you might have comparing velocities.

Tumbleweed

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
My comments from another thread:

I don't know if there is a measurable difference in 42 yard performance of a back bored Full choke barrel versus a standard bore Full choke barrel or if there is a difference in shot string if the same premium ammo was used in both guns. I do know for sure that my Full choked P gun performs better on a warm day at 4,000 feet altitude than it does on a cold day at lower altitude. These observations could easily be tested at a conventional pattern board without a lot of very high tech equipment like electronic sensors built into a rubber mat behind the pattern sheet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As far as I am concerned,it is all about recoil. Less recoil for sure. More so then porting. Although porting keeps the gun out of your face.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm more confused than before, So generally will a Imp.mod give me as good a pattern as a Full in a non backbored barrel?

·
Registered
247 Posts
"less friction = less kick"

Nope, less friction = more velocity = more kick. If anything, friction between the wad and the barrel would tend to pull the barrel forward, away from your shoulder.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Harold is correct within limits. Less friction = greater velocity and more recoil unless the bore size is too great for a proper wad seal. Then, less friction = gas leakage around the over powder cup and less velocity and less recoil.

I am not able to come up with a model in my mind that would indicate overboring a barrel would reduce recoil. Can someone help me?

My barrels have had the forcing cones lengthened and are slightly overbored and ported. My anecdotal observations suggest that I have done nothing to hurt the barrels. If this work helped, the difference was not enough for me to notice. Gripping the gun firmly with both hands seems to reduce recoil more than playing with the barrel. Our hands and arms are great recoil absorbers.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Would a Rem 870 in 20 and 12 that weighs the same have the same felt recoil if both were the same velocities and charge weights of 1-1/8 ounces? Hap

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
The answer is "yes" - at least until someone comes up with a _REASON_ that "no" is a better one. The "null hypothesis," (the two things being compared are not different) is where statistics starts from - and stays until there's enough evidence to reject it - and we should too.

Neil

G

·
Back boring has to help or Mossberg wouldn't do it. Here's part of the catalog entry for one of their turkey guns describing how it is a 12 gauge backbored to the dimensions of a 10 gauge to reduce recoil and improve patterning. My Browning needs that!!

<center>
</a></center>

Mike

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.