Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have used the Hoppe's brand ones, Lead B Gone.

Will they clean your hands? Yes.

Do they work any better than Wet Ones or other wipes at removing lead residue? I don't know. I assume Hoppe's wouldn't be making the claim they do without some kind of testing data to back it up.

Are they worth the money? Well, that's a whole other question.

If you're concerned about lead getting into your system through the skin, the advice I got when learning pistol was to wash with cold water and liquid dish soap so your pores don't open up. Light gloves might be a cheaper alternative in the long term than buying wipes if you shoot a lot. I could see using these in a pinch if there's no running water where you're shooting. Or if it's hot and your pores are going to be open anyway.

If they're like the Hoppe's ones they will dry out after a few weeks once the seal is broken. Maybe store the whole bottle in a big ziploc bag so they will last longer.

It was on sale
Steve
Well, that's more important than whether they work or not!

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
Nope, don't need to, never plan on ingesting lead, most reloading is jacketed and shot is in containers. So I don't handle lead much. Used to bite lead sinkers but even those days are gone, don't do that type of fishing anymore.

·
Premium Member
6,297 Posts
Where is the lead residue coming from that is causing the concern? I doubt it's coming from lead shot, lead shot is solid. I've seen threads on lead levels in the bloodstreams of reloaders and it's not an issue.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Used to use it to clean lead and carbon build up on nickel/stainless revolvers cylinder and forcing cone areas from cast bullets. Can take off bluing.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
When I was loading a lot of pistol and shot shells I had my blood tested for lead on my annual check. Nada. And I wasn’t particular about how or when I washed my hands.

Darr

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I was loading a lot of pistol and shot shells I had my blood tested for lead on my annual check. Nada. And I wasn’t particular about how or when I washed my hands.

Darr
We have a shooter at our club that has lead poisoning. He is older.
Great guy.
Steve

·
Registered
213 Posts
Would that be Bod Woods? If so I have shot with him many time at Kern County Gun Club. Really nice guy. How is he doing these days?

Al Ridgecrest, CA

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would that be Bod Woods? If so I have shot with him many time at Kern County Gun Club. Really nice guy. How is he doing these days?

Al Ridgecrest, CA
Poor health. But still alive as far as I know.
Steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts