Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
You are going to get allot of feedback on this subject. I use a modified choke from the 16 to the 27 yard lines. Have been for a long time. While everyone else is chipping the targets, mine explode into minute pieces.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
I use "M" when I have a choice.

I have an old MX-8 with fixed 0.019" choke on the bottom barrel, I shot few 100s with it, couple of them were using 7/8 oz (#8 & 19 gr. RedDot) loads.

Most hit targets were solid / smokes, few were chips. But 100 is still 100 no mater how you slice it. :)

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
You see everything from IC to Extra full.
Chose the choke that give you confidence in your breaks.

I shot the same setup from 16-27

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I have shot with as little as .012" choke at 16 yards and the most .044". I honestly don't think I lost or gained a target at any time. Use what you have confidence in. Tight chokes and well centered hits seldom fail. Turning targets into smoke balls will give you more confidence than breaking them into several pieces.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: I have shot light mod to improved mod. My favorite at the 16 back to the 24 is the Muller U3 with 3/4oz loads. Soft shooting and gets the job done nicely. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use a modified when I shoot in league. Both at 16 and my handicap of 20. Just started shooting doubles, I use Lt Mod and Imp Mod for them since the Mod choke is in my single barrel. Sometimes I use up to a full choke when practicing just to gain some confidence. I've seen guys busting clays with a Cyl Bore on a Tac Shotgun from the 16 yd line. I belive the central core of the shot pattern stays together but the outer portion of the pattern is what either holds together or scatters appart sooner based on choke. I'm fairly knew at trap so only base my guess on what I've read. I haven't noticed much difference in how many I hit no matter what choke I have in the gun.

·
Administrator
8,659 Posts
I would think you would want to pattern the chokes that you are thinking of using and also take a look at the distance out of the trap house that you are consistently breaking targets.I have shot a lot of different trap shotguns and ran hundreds with most of them using various chokes but when I look into my records that I keep on each gun and registered year my best scores/ave. were always shot with a lite full choke.Keep records of what you are doing and look for consistency. SHoot well George

·
Registered
408 Posts
I just switched my wife from im to m and it improved her scores greatly. Or maybe she just started shooting better. I don't know which but I ain't changing nothing. Sean

·
Premium Member
5,560 Posts
yep! .020 for 16's. I have been using a .030 for my 26 yard handicap, but I am thinking about going to a .036. I am struggling at the 26, so I am looking for anything to help!

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
I use a mod for singles and doubles.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Not all Mods are the same. Try yours and see how it works. I shoot a mod and it's tighter than others. Use what works best for you.

Don

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Mod SMOKES 16yd targets for me, in both my Ljutic and Perazzi MX 3 Special. I would not even consider a tighter choke for singles. Marc

1 - 20 of 66 Posts