Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any hunters on here that hunt deer with a hand gun? What caliber do you use? Do most hand gun hunters use a scope mounted on the hand gun?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Are there any hunters on here that hunt deer with a hand gun? What caliber do you use? Do most hand gun hunters use a scope mounted on the hand gun?
I have killed 5 deer with a handgun and 7 elk. All one shot kills. One deer with S&W M29 6 1/2" w/ custom rifle bead sights, .44 mag. (4) deer and (1) elk with T/C super 14 contender, 6.5 JDJ w/2-8X Simmons scope. (100 -300 yrds. Hit the elk in the head at 300 yrds! Absolutely electicutes deer, dead in their tracks. Other 5 elk shot with .375 JDJ super 14 contender, .270 gr. Hornady bullet., Burris variable power scope. All one shot kills and never have recovered a bullet. I have killed (2) bear with the contenders, one .375 JDJ and one with .357 Herritt, both with scopes, both one shot kills at around 100 yards. Finished off a wounded running spike elk with 1 shot from S&W .45 auto and 230 gr HP bullet in the lungs at 30 yrds. Ran 50 yrds and dropped dead.

Recommend a scope and rest on any shots over 100 yards with a hand cannon. A rest with a scope on a revolver over 2x.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I hunt whitetail deer in Texas from a ground blind with my S&W Model 57 (8 3/8" barrel) equipped with a Burris 2-7x32 scope. In my home state I use a rifle. It's much more challenging hunting public land in New Mexico than a private lease in Texas.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yup. Whitetails in the past with a S&W Model 28 6" barrel. Last mule deer/elk hunt Thompson Center Encore 7mm-08 15" barrel. I also have a 44mag barrel without a scope which I don't use because range is limited.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
.223. 10.5" barrel. Red dot sight. 10 round magazine. Yes, I am talking about an AR pistol. As a bonus, because I have a carry permit, in WI I can have it loaded in the truck, which I can't do with an AR rifle.
I have hunted deer and moose with a handgun. Had a moose get up in some real thick alders when I had the .44 Redhawk in my hand, but couldn't see any anatomy for an aiming reference, so I did not shoot. I have never shot a deer with a handgun, except one coup de grâce shot. I have used .44 Mag., .357 Mag., and .45 ACP in hunting deer.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Have hunted deer and antelope with a handgun almost exclusively since the late 60's. First with a Smith 29 8 3/8 in. barrel and for the last 8 to 10 years with two Ruger Vaqueros in 44mag. One 4 5/8 and sometimes a 7 1/2 . Both are stainless and I have never used a scope on any of them. Obviously the Vaqueros are fixed sights. The deer in my avatar was taken with the short barreled Vaquero. I load everything I shoot in them. I've worked up a load and filed the front sights so that both Vaqueros shoot dead on at 100yds. with a level sight.
Steve

·
Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Citori XT/Browning Recoilless
1,125 Posts
That would be a dream come true but not in this country, heaven forbid we own handguns for anything but punching paper....:mad:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Might give it a try sometime. I know it's suppose to add challenge to the hunt, but personally I don't hunt for challenge or for sport because deer hunting is rather easy, I hunt purely for the harvest. Hence why you will never see hunting pics of me on the net or anywhere for that matter. As far as small game goes, yeah I've used handguns on rabbits before.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have shot about 20 whitetails with a 40s&w a few with the 45acp and one doe with a 10mm all but the last doe were along a road. Tried hunting with a smith in 41 mag never could get that pistol to shoot. I am liking all the love for the 41 though. Still have a 2” titanium 41 that I carry in bear country.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts