Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be the first to admit, I'm totally green when it comes to shooting. I've only shot three total rounds to date. I was thinking today that I'd like to track my progress and shooting history.

So, I picked up this graph notebook. I've included information such as: gun make/model, shotshell brand, size, weight, speed, and weather conditions.

Does anyone else do this? I thought about trying to do it digitally, but the notebook feels more natural.

uploadfromtaptalk1433214626515.jpg

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
I keep notes quite frequently, it is nice when you are trying to build a foundation/keeping records of how you shoot at different clubs/backgrounds---different tints for glasses.All helpful info as opposed to just remembering you shot well but are struggling at the same club at some future point and wish you had some note to consult that might help :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I keep notes quite frequently, it is nice when you are trying to build a foundation/keeping records of how you shoot at different clubs/backgrounds---different tints for glasses.All helpful info as opposed to just remembering you shot well but are struggling at the same club at some future point and wish you had some note to consult that might help :)
Thanks for reminding me to include the name of the range!

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
I have seen some very very good shooters who keep data on trap house sizes from club to club and carry a tape measure in their shooting gear. :)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Do you have the more meta data saved somewhere, or strictly hit percentage per round?

I have records of nearly every handgun, rifle, and handgun shot that I have fired over the past nearly fifty years. Depending on the gun and circumstances, I have between thirty to fifty variables recorded for each.

For trap shooting, I have the date, location, registered or practice, event, load components and specs, gun, barrels, chokes, stock shims, rib adjustments, beads, choice of eye glasses, physical conditions, weather conditions, what experimental trials are being run associated with that shooting event, new shooting techniques being tried, etc.

For load development work, would also include multiple chronograph measurements, paper target results, etc. with results from a variety of guns.

Trapshooters.com is a great source of ideas for what variables might be recorded.

·
Vendor
1,681 Posts
Yes and it will help you figure things out quicker
I can show you a journal tracking my scores in 1977 which is how long ago I started keeping a shooting journal.
Hammer 1 no one I have ever met keeps as many stats as you.

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
I write down every round I shoot. Date, location, shell used, choke used, and score. Sometimes I include the weather conditions also. My friends say I'm OCD...

This I think is particularly important with a new gun, because when you go to sell it you can put in the ad the EXACT round count. I find that information nice to have as a potential buyer.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I'll be the first to admit, I'm totally green when it comes to shooting. I've only shot three total rounds to date. I was thinking today that I'd like to track my progress and shooting history.

So, I picked up this graph notebook. I've included information such as: gun make/model, shotshell brand, size, weight, speed, and weather conditions.

Does anyone else do this? I thought about trying to do it digitally, but the notebook feels more natural.

View attachment 306863
WOW!!! some people are really anal about their shooting.

jack mc

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I have a journal - it's called an ATA Average Card. Ditto for what Cactus JW said.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've kept records in an excel spreadsheet since 2002. I have details that include round scores, misses by station (I shoot skeet mostly), notes to myself, shots fired by gun / gauge, number of straights by gun / gauge, etc. I also keep reloading data and cost to reload calculations in the same file.

cheers

Charlie

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Before Excel, I kept records with Visicalc and Lotus 123.

Before the personal computer, kept them first on 80-column punch cards and later tape drives and mainframe computers.

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
It is interesting when you talk to different shooters about record keeping/practice routines ect. I was talking to a couple of shooters who are going to shoot a local ATA tournament in a couple of weeks and they were like we are going to shoot a case of shells today and get ready for next week. I asked them ok so you are going to shoot a case of shells....is there something that you are having trouble with in particular that you want to work on?THey both answered that there were both hitting in the high teens and low 20s from the 16 and wanted to improve their scores,neither shooter had any record of what post they were having trouble from/were they having trouble with high targets when the wind in blowing in or lower targets with a wind at the back/right or left angles ect. I suggested that they keep some basic notes so that they could practice to improve rather than just throwing lead out there.It was interesting because they both had expressed that other experienced shooters had told them to just go out and shoot a lot till they started getting a better feel for the targets(LMAO)! I guess a practice session like that is good for the club because we keep throwing targets but how long befor the shooter gets frustrated or just plain gets burnt out?

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
BTW Hammer 1 awesome records keeping! I have to ask do you keep as detailed records for automobile maitinece? My dad does---all the service records on tractors,truck, power equipment ect. :)

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
I envy you hammer1. I keep records also on everything, but I don't think quite to your level. I do have receipts for every tool I ever bought starting in 1986. Been turning wrenches for 29 years now and have bought more tools than most will ever see.

·
Registered
225 Posts
According to a couple of my trap shooting buddies, who claim I am OCD about keeping my shooting records, I feel vindicated after reading your post, however, I can't hold a candle to some of your record keeping .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts