Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doctor upset I

Hello:
Went to see my doctor for a scheduled physical. She's always on me about my weight. Started getting nervous at the weigh in as I felt like I was going to fight Mike Tyson or something. I took my belt off, my wallet, keys, shoes and even my glasses so I would weigh less. I even lifted my left foot about a 16th of an inch off the scale thinking it might help, but of course, I was three lbs more than the last time I saw her.

She had me read an article in healthy living today that in order to keep your metabolism up and running at a good pace people should eat 4 to 6 meals a day. I told her I've eaten 4 to 6, sometimes 8 to 10, and nothing helps. Maybe I'll try 10 to 12 tomorrow. If what they say is true my metabolism should be running roughly at Mach 5. She looked at me in disgust.

She then asked me what do I eat for breakfast? I told her toast. She then asked "how much toast do you eat"? I said a loaf. She said "you mean to tell me you eat a loaf of toast for breakfast"? She got upset again. Telling the truth to your doctor, don't believe the hype.

I strongly believe that skinny people (which she is) can not relate to Enormo's like myself. She asked me if I exercise or jog? I told her I recently went to Foot locker and the guy in the striped shirt and whistle saw me looking at tennis shoes and he asked me if I was going to run on cement, cinders, asphalt or some other material? I told him I'm looking for a shoe that is good from carpet to linoleum, from my couch to the refrigerator.

So I spent money on my co-pay and she said "you know your over weight". Like I did not know that. She said I want to see you in 3 months and I want you to be 10 pounds lighter. I said to myself that is like a deck chair falling off the Queen Mary.

Any of you have a never ending battle with weight? What do you do to lose weight?
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
683 Posts
Senior Smoke, I gotcha covered. Here is the Edgar Cayce diet. Eat nothing but apples for three days. Any kind of apples, raw. No salt or sugar. At the end of the three days, take a teaspoon full of olive oil. Do this a few days before your next appointment. Your doctor will love you. It won't last, but it's a start.
A more sedate diet might be eliminating bread and potatoes, but it isn't as fast.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you do the Paleolithic diet you will lose weight. Cut all complex carbs, dairy, processed sugar, all grains breads, etc. You can eat all the meat, fruits, and veggies you want. Must never slip or the diet is compromised. This also means all alcohol and processed drinks are out too including juices. So that means just water, coffee, and fresh squeezed juice is drinkable. On the bright side you can eat and drink your fill!

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
My late dad always said, "Eat less and crap more."

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Steve, for those of us who for one reason or another just love to eat, a controlling mechanism is needed. Since I quit smoking 15 years ago, food tastes so much better that I force it in until I'm in pain. I gained 100 pounds during my first smoke-free year and didn't worry about loosing it as I figured that if I could quit an addictive substance like tobacco cold turkey, pushing myself away from the table a few helpings sooner would be easy. Not so.

Last summer, I realized that I'm shrinking vertically and that is making my horizontal expansion even more negative to my health and wellbeing, so I decided that I would have weight-loss surgery. On December 26th, I will undergo Sleeve Gastrectomy, a procedure involving the removal of half of my stomach. That will be like replacing your car's 20-gallon fuel tank with a 10-gallon one - the new one won't hold as much but will require more frequent top-offs.

When the surgeon asked me about my goals, I told him I wanted to shed 100 pounds. He said he thinks I can loose 120. I was 5'11" and weighed 154 at age 18 in 1965, the same height and 165 pounds at age 25 in 1972 and only gained about 40 pounds until 1998. I'm now 66, 5'8" and 320 pounds so I really hope he's right! Between the added load my joints are bearing and the arthritis within them, there isn't much I do that doesn't make something hurt.

Look into bariatric surgery; chow hounds like us need a crutch and all of the three possible procedures require just an overnight hospital stay and the recovery period for most of them isn't hateful. Eat too much and it won't fit - driving the porcelain bus a few times after a meal will teach you to stop when you feel full and that's how you loose weight.

Ed

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
With all respect, the Paleo diet works for young gym rats, which you are not.

The Mediterranean Food Pyramid works world wide, allows you to eat enough to be satisfied, and not enough to stay at an apparently unhealthy weight.

If you are not going to at least attempt to exercise at any level, there is only one way to lose weight, and that is to strictly control an out-of-control appetite.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Change what you eat two weeks before you see her. No processed sugars, starches, or white flour foods. I bet you lose 15 lbs. She will think you have been working hard for three months. Or you could start now, and really surprise her when you show up 40-50 lbs lighter.

It is not easy to do, trust me. The commitment, is in the mind.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
I feel for you Steve, I really do.

I have somewhat the same problem and my doctor tells me the same thing.

I really envy those who can eat all day long and never gain an ounce. I worked with two people like that.

They would come in the morning and start eating, and eat all day long. At the end of the day, they'd still weigh the same. They just never gained any weight.

I'm so bad, just looking at food when I grocery shop causes me to gain weight.

Well, maybe not, it just seems that way.

Good luck with your weight reduction.

If you ever figure out the magic way to lose weight please let us know too.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Steve if you're serious...stop eating after 6 pm. Seems to work for everyone that tries it. Good luck and Merry Christmas

Bill

·
Just getting by.....
1,080 Posts
Steve,

I started myfitnesspal.com in January of this year. It's free.

247 pounds heavy. I stopped tracking my food in October and am still down 47 pounds.

I never realized how much I was eating until I actually started listing everything on the website. I was eating 3500 calories a day and expending probably less than 1000.

My advice take it slow set yourself up on the website and start out with a 1/2 pound per week goal until you get used to watching what you eat.

I started walking 20 minutes a day and ran my first 5K in November.

The experts I found were right in that you have to burn more than you take in.

Tim

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mapper:
Is this the Mr. Ed diet?
Steve

Brian:
Your father was a smart man.
Steve

Ed:
Good luck on the surgery. You and I are roughly the same height and weight. My brother asked my wife, if a naked woman walked past Steve, and there were ribs sitting on a table, what would he want? My wife said the ribs. I was thinking, have a naked woman walk by carrying a slab of baby backs. Now that's something to wonder about.
Steve

Thank you for for the good advice. I must have little to no will power. My grandmother was 4'10" and 280 as she looked liked a walking Coke machine with a head attached. Most of my relatives belong to the clean plate club of America.
Steve

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
On a separate note, to at least stay healthy through all this, recent studies show that frequent masturbation wards off cancer, diabetes, and prolly friends too if you do it in front of them And we paid for this study too. I would have worked for free as a female self gratification monitor.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I recently changed doctors, and on my first visit, she said I needed to loose weight, and told me what the nurse said I weighed.

I told her that was wrong, I had never weighed that much in my life, and she still told me I needed to loose weight.

I had the nurse re-weigh me before I left, and lo and behold, this is a miracle doctor, because before I left her office, I lost 29 lbs!!!

I'm still too fat, though.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I did 25 pushups today, for the first time in ...

25 years

In August I got back from a fishing trip in Northern New Mexico, and I was beat http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24421459 .

I was only walking in knee deep water, but it really worked me. Then I went to see my dad in the old folk's home, and I saw the future (and it wasn't pretty).

I weighed 228, could do ONE pushup, and felt like $#&%. I started walking, and doing some simple exercises. Then I started cutting back on the crap I ate. Don't get me wrong, I still eat the same crap, just less of it.

I was at the doctor on Tuesday and weighed 211, my cholesterol 176, and my BP was 106/66.

The doc said I only had 30 more pounds to go. (I didn't have the heart to tell him I weighed more than 180 when I was in high school).

I'm living proof it can be done, it's not easy, but it can be done.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I have lost 15lbs in three weeks by just changing what I do not need( cookies,beer,bread) and smaller meals and snacks.My meals are just portioned better and I cut out a lot of junk. I did have some cookies and a beer though. I need to lose about 40 lbs more

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Right on Brian.....that's what works for me...no secret extreme diets...no magic pills....cut out junk food...eat good food and less of it...you can still enjoy the odd indulgence...and you WILL lose weight...I did...and I was the poster boy for procrastination.

Ron Burr

1 - 20 of 21 Posts