Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using the voice recognition software on my iPhone and iPad (actually using it on my iPad mini for this post) and I'm thinking about upgrading to Dragon NaturallySpeaking for my office PC.

Have you used this speech recognition software on a PC? If so, I'd appreciate hearing your opinions.

Thanks in advance for all of your input.

Larry

·
Registered
7,593 Posts
"The only part I disliked about Dragon was my audio input to text output was about 80-85% where I needed close to 98-100% output.

MKelley how does one tell what his audio output is???? Is there a voice training period???

Bob Lawless

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I tried it 10 years ago, and again last year. The computer makes all the difference. However, I ended up sending them both back because the error fixes made a project longer than just drafting and typing it myself. I suppose, if you have the time, it might save your fingers?

Kip

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
I have used Dragon for about 15 years for documents more than a few paragraphs. This includes long and complex SEC security filings. It doesn't take but about a half hour for initial training then it continues to learn your speech. You can train specific words and phrases. As I am a two finger typist, when I got it it meant that I no longer had to hand draft docs for my secretary to type and give back to me for review. You do have to learn to use it and learn to speak like you write rather than how you talk.

Have a good computer with plenty of memory. It is well worth the price unless you are a pretty good typist.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I got it to record old fraternity songs and poems. As you may imagine, there were more than a few profanities or euphamisms. It avoided those words like the plague. Not much use for it.

Mike

·
Registered
7,593 Posts
"Speak in microphone, voice recognition software translates to American English words, output to rich text format digital files."

You have told me exactly what I already new. What I wanted to know was how the percentage you used made themselves known to you. Or are you estimating the percentage???

I don't have a clue on how to figure out what percentage the auto input to text output. So your statement made me curious. As I am not in the genius class so I am sorry I asked a question that is beneath you or I wouldn't have asked.

Bob Lawless

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I went ahead and ordered the Dragon NaturallySpeaking. It was on sale last week for half off. It took approximately 30 minutes to install on my computer and all I can say is that I am delighted with it. In fact, I'm using it right now to prepare this post.

Sure, there are some problems but not very many. This is the first day I've been using it and I have a hard time making it the pickup.the more I use it the better it works.

Thanks to everyone who offered input on my question. You certainly all helped me make my decision. For me, this software is well worth the few dollars ($49.95) I paid for it.

Larry J. Frieders
Grandpa's Arms, Inc.
340 Marshall Ave #100 | Aurora, IL 60506 |
Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm |
Office: 630.859.0333 Cell: 630.992.7513 FAX: 630.859.0114

1 - 7 of 7 Posts