Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caesar Guerini claims their Maxis chokes which are made from 4140 steel pattern better than chokes made from 17-4 stainless steel. There also have been comments about the Maxis chokes coming loose whereas some claim the stainless chokes do not. The stainless chokes are harder which CG claims is detrimental to patterns due to a different mode of vibration than the steel barrels, whereas their Maxis chokes vibrate the same as their barrels because they're made from the same 4140 steel. Is this a marketing ploy or is there something to it?

So I'm curious of the Summit Trap shooters out there who uses CG's Maxis chokes?

· Registered
296 Posts
I have a CG trap gun that came with their Maxis choke tubes. However, I bought 2 Briley Helix Chokes that I am EXTREMELY pleased with. No coming loose with these, they actually tighten with use. I hand tighten them, and after a round of trap have to use a tool to remove them. PLUS, they have the notches on them like normal choke tubes, so you don't have to use that stupid wrench that CG uses on their choke tubes.

Don

· Administrator
9,666 Posts
I have had excellent results with CG Maxis chokes and very little issues with any coming loose. I do suggest that a owner keep them clean and the threads properly lubricated.

Never felt the urge to get a different brand choke, many will spend thousands on a shotgun and then surmise that the manufacturer put little to no thought in the choke tube system and you have to go out and buy a aftermarket choke.

Put them on the pattern board, spend some time collecting basic data and take a look at your results.

· Registered
226 Posts
I agree with Wadhopper, bought Mullers when I was shooting a 725 because of the Browning DS choke constriction and pattern issues. Sold the browning and bought CG summit impact and more Mullers which I used for couple years, good patterns and shot some good scores, but the Maxis chokes in my opinion are more durable and throw just as good of a pattern if not better.

· Registered
554 Posts
Caesar Guerini claims their Maxis chokes which are made from 4140 steel pattern better than chokes made from 17-4 stainless steel. There also have been comments about the Maxis chokes coming loose whereas some claim the stainless chokes do not. The stainless chokes are harder which CG claims is detrimental to patterns due to a different mode of vibration than the steel barrels, whereas their Maxis chokes vibrate the same as their barrels because they're made from the same 4140 steel. Is this a marketing ploy or is there something to it?

So I'm curious of the Summit Trap shooters out there who uses CG's Maxis chokes?
4140 is a chrome moly steel as opposed to stainless steel. Theoretically if the barrel and the choke are made from the same material, the contraction and expansion rate would be the same. You may get a marginal improvement in patterns but due to the inherent variability in patterns, you most likely could not measure the improvement. I know about 10 guys who shoot CG’s and 90% use factory chokes. I have never seen any credible evidence that proves after market chokes are any better than factory chokes. I’ll spend my money on shooting more targets instead of buying aftermarket chokes.

· Registered
128 Posts

I have a Summit Trap 32/34 combo and I stick with the CG Maxis chokes... no complaints

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.