Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For several years now, I have had an interest in trying to become a two-eyed shooter. With the virus-imposed slowdown going on, I'm thinking this might be my chance. However, it's not going to happen by going to the trap club and working through things there, so I am trying to get creative.

I'm in a situation that allows me to do as much shooting as I would like, right out of my yard. I do not own any other firearms besides a variety of shotguns, but there are lots of other choices within my immediate family. I have my eye on a couple of different .22cal pistols owned by sons-in-law, or nephews. To be clear, I'm not really interested in handguns at all, but for training purposes, I could get interested for several weeks. In addition, I barely know the first thing about proper pistol shooting technique, but at least I'm safe with a handgun in my paws.

I'm liking the idea of the .22cal pistols, because the ammunition is cheap, we have lots of it around and I can literally shoot hundreds of rounds per day for as long as it takes.

There are a few details about me that might be handy for you to know:
> I'm 67 years old and I have been breaking clay targets with shotguns since my mid-teens.
> I'm left handed and right eye dominant, so I shoot right handed. Always have.
> I'm not unhappy being a one-eyed shooter. I break good scores and feel I'm as competitive as anyone, but my whole life I've been told that you can't reach your full potential unless you shoot with both eyes open. I'm not sure I believe it, but I have the time and interest to find out.

So, here's the part where I ask for advice.... If I put in the time and effort to become a two-eyed pistol shooter, will any of that even translate over to target shotgunning??? If not, I'm going to spend my free time knitting barbed wire underwear for skeet shooters.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
There are a few details about me that might be handy for you to know:
> I'm 67 years old and I have been breaking clay targets with shotguns since my mid-teens.
> I'm left handed and right eye dominant, so I shoot right handed. Always have.
> I'm not unhappy being a one-eyed shooter. I break good scores and feel I'm as competitive as anyone, but my whole life I've been told that you can't reach your full potential unless you shoot with both eyes open. I'm not sure I believe it, but I have the time and interest to find out.
I don't believe you need to shoot 2 eyed. Lots of good one Eyed shooters.

You are Left handed and right eye dominant and shoot right handed, why don't you shoot two eyed?
Gun is on the right shoulder with the dominant right eye. Open the left eye and see what happens.

I wouldn't spend time on the pistols but maybe a pellet rifle with both eyes open.

Its All Good
West

·
Registered
348 Posts
Get a 22 cal rifle and set a target at 15 yards and shoot it with both eyes open just point at the target do not use the sights. This will get you to point the gun not aim it. This will require a lot of practice but will make it easier to convert to two eyes. Once you have converted to two eye shooting you will be amazed at how much quicker you see the target. Good luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I do not believe that shooting one eyed will limit you to achieving your full potential . They told Nora Ross the same thing . I don’t think it hindered her ability in any way.

When I started shooting trap I started out shooting one eyed. Right hand ,Right eye. After going through cataract surgery and having both lenses replaced. I could no longer Shoot with one eye . I can’t tell you why , because for the first time in my life I now have 20/20 vision in both eyes without wearing glasses. The only thing that I can tell you is that if you want to learn to shoot with both eyes open you have to stick with it and don’t give up. You are using a 22 rifle instead of a shotgun . Shooting at stationary targets rather than moving. It may get you in the ballpark ,and for whatever it’s worth ,what do you have to loose. Good luck and stick with it.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
There are a lot of accomplished one-eyed shooters, but if you are intent on trying to become a two-eyed shooter, try this. Buy yourself an adult size BB gun, remove the rear sight, go to the store and buy a bag of charcoal bricks and have at it.When the charcoal is thrown against a clear sky with the sun at your back,; you can usually see the BB'
s flight in relationship to the target.

Good luck,
Steve

·
Registered
55 Posts
The fundamentals of rifle and pistol shooting are very different than shotgun shooting. When shooting a rifle or pistol the sharp image should be the front sight. The target should be the sharp image when shooting a shotgun. IMO it would not be constructive to practice with a handgun or rifle to improve your shotgunning skills. If you had interest in learning to shoot a handgun, that would be one thing. You have indicated that you have no interest. You may be better off pointing and dry firing your shotgun.

·
Premium Member
4,381 Posts
The key to your quest to shoot two eyed is the ghost barrel and making it go away.
I did it and it greatly improved my shooting.
Henry

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Sign up for some time with Nora. She will give you her opinion and I would think that it would be valuable. She is open minded and can put this debate to rest.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
The fundamentals of rifle and pistol shooting are very different than shotgun shooting. When shooting a rifle or pistol the sharp image should be the front sight. The target should be the sharp image when shooting a shotgun. IMO it would not be constructive to practice with a handgun or rifle to improve your shotgunning skills. If you had interest in learning to shoot a handgun, that would be one thing. You have indicated that you have no interest. You may be better off pointing and dry firing your shotgun.
So true, So true. I can tell you from many, many years of successful high level pistol shooting (see avatar) that joe 1100 is right on with his advice. I'm right hand, left eye and have always shot a long gun left handed (pistol right hand). The answer to my sight problems were installing sight blinders on all my shotguns. Shoot two eyed. not a problem.

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
For several years now, I have had an interest in trying to become a two-eyed shooter.
When you become tired of lifting your head on a strait-a-way at least once every round. Its time to try 2 eyed shooting. Do try a Meadows Industries "Sight Blinder" on whatever front bead you like to use on your shotgun. Give this new system 3 to 5 thousand targets to get used to it. After 5 thousand targets you'll know how you like shooting 2 eyed or not. There is no doubt that 2 eyed shooting, is the best way to shoot a moving target. However some shooters just can't get used to it, Period End Quote!!! Doing this may open a new door for you? Or, You may decide its just not for you. If you pick the later here in 6 months then go see Nora Ross and have her give you some tips on shooting one-eyed!!! & you'll know you never need to try again!!! Otherwise you'll always wonder what if---at some point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once your shooting stops improving and has leveled off---its time to change something if you want to improve.

The definition of insanity is as follows----To Keep Doing The Same Thing Over and Over---Expecting Different Results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck to You and your Journey. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm also left handed and shoot right handed two eyed,have tried shooting one eyed but didn't do as good and I also shoot 22 pistols and benchrest rifles alot.The only thing I find on the rifle I have an 8oz.trigger and I find it hard not to pull the trigger hard from shooting trap the day before.The more you shoot the better you will be at most of them.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,743 Posts
I attended a clinic where the presenter made the point about age being a factor. I see that you're 67 and well beyond where he was making the point about cross dominance being a serious issue for two eyed shooters. At the clinic he was putting dots or those barrel rib blinder things on many shooter's guns with varying results. It's your time and money, but it seems to me you're off tilting windmills.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Joe is right on the money here OP. I tried a similar experiment/training idea that you outlined. I did it with a Remington 597 since 22lr was cheap. The result was I retrained my brain to focus on the blade sight on the reminiscent to make sure I was sighting down the barrel with the proper eye. After a month of practice and and a couple bricks of .22, I went out to the trap range thinking I was gonna run 24's and 25's all day, but ended up looking at the barrel and bead way to much. It screwed me up for quite a while.

I used to be really bad cross dominant, but as I've gotten older the eye doctor says my eye dominance has merged somewhat. What has actually helped me was going to a longer barrel. I started on 28" and have now shot my personal bests with a 32" SKB. I'm thinking of trying a 34" BT99 next.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
So, here's the part where I ask for advice.... If I put in the time and effort to become a two-eyed pistol shooter, will any of that even translate over to target shotgunning??? If not, I'm going to spend my free time knitting barbed wire underwear for skeet shooters.
No way is pistol shooting gonna help you with shot gunning... the guys that already said that are right about this!

What would help you would be to get over the skeet shooting phobia and try that ! That will help you see the target with both eyes !!!

Really - shot guns and clay targets go together perfectly. Who cares witch way they're flying...

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
Try a bb gun (remove all sights, grind them off if necessary) and pin pong balls. Have the wife or someone toss the balls in the air while you keep both eyes open and shoot the balls.
You are on to something there!!! But some will still be looking at the end of the barrel claiming a cross dominance problem switched sides just before they fired.

·
Vendor
1,680 Posts
This is what I recommend in my clinics for those that can. Use a 22 rifle with either a dot or 1x scope (or variable scope that goes to 1x). (here after called the dot)

The reason you need the dot is to train your shooting eye to see the target with that eye in control. If you use open sights you don't accomplish this.

You want a rifle instead of pistol because something changes when you put your head on the gun. It causes cross-firing to occur more often.

Shoot 100-200 rounds a night or what you can when you can but the more the better.

Also during the same period wear your black eye patch on your off eye every night for at least 60 minutes(doesn't have to be in continuous block)

Go to the range and shoot your round(s) of trap with both eyes open (& your Meadows blinder attached) but only after you have at least a couple of weeks doing this religiously.

Have someone log the angles you miss and the posts you miss them on and compare to how it was previously.

In my experience the barrel blinder does definitely help but it will not always cure.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts