Trapshooters Forum banner

Do you think it would help?

2439 Views 27 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  peeshooter
Hello everyone,
I hope you are all doing well and are preparing to if not already enjoying the shooting season. I've been to a few shoots and my local club in the past few months as well as talking with other shooters who are planning to travel this summer and earn some AA points and a topic that always comes up is Ammo. Many people I know are not able to go through their regular schedule due to a lack of ammo and this brought the idea to me. This idea has already been in place back in the Vandalia days (before my time), but as it was described to me when a shooter payed for their entry fee they were given a ticket to get ammo for that event. Even if the shooter had to pay a little extra do you think state shoots and even the Grand should try and implement this idea with either local dealers or the manufactures themselves? Just an idea that I would help out fellow shooters this up and coming shooting season. Let me know what you think or if you know of any similar ideas in place already. I know some clubs limit the sale of ammo at shoots to that of which is needed already, but this is more of the ticket system idea.
As always have a great one and I hope to see you on the trap line soon!
God Bless
-Chase H
Reactions: GrandpasArms
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
10,442 Posts
I’m not seeing any shells at my local Walmart which is an indication to me that the supply chain is still way behind,
I was told by a fellow shooter that he had talked with a vendor friend that is also a big time shooter and he had 20,000
flats on back order with Winchester. I will run out before my state/zone shoot so I hope by then, July, something is showing up somewhere.

· Premium Member
8,275 Posts
Hello everyone,
I hope you are all doing well and are preparing to if not already enjoying the shooting season. I've been to a few shoots and my local club in the past few months as well as talking with other shooters who are planning to travel this summer and earn some AA points and a topic that always comes up is Ammo. Many people I know are not able to go through their regular schedule due to a lack of ammo and this brought the idea to me. This idea has already been in place back in the Vandalia days (before my time), but as it was described to me when a shooter payed for their entry fee they were given a ticket to get ammo for that event. Even if the shooter had to pay a little extra do you think state shoots and even the Grand should try and implement this idea with either local dealers or the manufactures themselves? Just an idea that I would help out fellow shooters this up and coming shooting season. Let me know what you think or if you know of any similar ideas in place already. I know some clubs limit the sale of ammo at shoots to that of which is needed already, but this is more of the ticket system idea.
God Bless
-Chase H
So since the you've made reference to the Grand in Vandaila, are you suggesting mandatory purchase of shells as part of the entry or a ticket stub attached to each or allocated for each event?

· Banned
2,714 Posts
Hello everyone,
God Bless
-Chase H
Yes, and as you stated, some shoots already are doing this. In practice, I'm not sure what the difference is. You either bring your own ammo or you bring your receipt to the shell house and you get to purchase so many shells based on events. I suppose if you made one brand, or load mandatory to the exclusion of all other shells then that would be different. I like it, either way.

Though if the Grand mandated, say, Federal Gold Medal Grands (the ones with a steel base), I know a certain shooter would be very upset. He may even tell you his opinion.

I'm curious where target shooters are in line. I've listened to a Fiocchi rep on a podcast that said 200,000,000 shells are fired on dove opening weekend in the Gulf states alone. I hope we are ahead of those guys and gals in production priority.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So since the you've made reference to the Grand in Vandaila, are you suggesting mandatory purchase of shells as part of the entry or a ticket stub attached to each or allocated for each event?
No not mandatory, but have the system in place where the shooter would pay an extra small fee. The shooter would then be provided a ticket and then would go get the shells they want. It’s a rough idea, just thought that some people won’t be able to shoot because they have nothing

· Banned
2,714 Posts
No not mandatory, but have the system in place where the shooter would pay an extra small fee. The shooter would then be provided a ticket and then would go get the shells they want. It’s a rough idea, just thought that some people won’t be able to shoot because they have nothing
Fear not! It seems most of the bigger shoots have already implemented your idea.

· Premium Member
8,275 Posts
From what I understand, pretty much how Tucson, the Dollar and San Antonio have done it thus far.

Sound idea provided State Associations or their vendor can obtain a significant enough quota to provide this service. I fear many of the early ones may not be able to. Ours is first part of June and last I heard we may not have significant amount.

I would think that if the supply chain has not substantially increased in the next couple months that it would be difficult for the Grand to offer this service due not only past volume number of participants but also the significant amount of targets thrown.

· Registered
13,008 Posts
As pheasantmaster refers to above , a lot would depend on the clubs actually HAVING the shells on hand . A lot of folks where optimistic that the ammo shortage was going to ease up in the spring. I was not among their number. Part of the optimism was because some ammo was showing up in small pockets in certain regions but , a lot ( if not Most ) of that were simply orders from nearly a YEAR AGO ! Most of the ammo companies report they are running 24/7 and still cannot keep up with demand. We are already approaching the summer months and most clubs are still having trouble finding shells. Reloading supplies remain hard to get and prices are up. Scalpers have had a field day and many who CAN find shells OR components are hoarding them like pack rats !

· Banned
2,714 Posts
As pheasantmaster refers to above , a lot would depend on the clubs actually HAVING the shells on hand . A lot of folks where optimistic that the ammo shortage was going to ease up in the spring. I was not among their number. Part of the optimism was because some ammo was showing up in small pockets in certain regions but , a lot ( if not Most ) of that were simply orders from nearly a YEAR AGO ! Most of the ammo companies report they are running 24/7 and still cannot keep up with demand. We are already approaching the summer months and most clubs are still having trouble finding shells. Reloading supplies remain hard to get and prices are up. Scalpers have had a field day and many who CAN find shells OR components are hoarding them like pack rats !
Spot on! Very spot on! I am encouraged to become a more neat and organized pack rat.

· Registered
60 Posts
Clubs in Az are allowing you to purchase shells for the events you shoot. You take your entry sheet to the cashier and they will sell you enough to shoot those events. They have been fair on the price but it is difficult to get any shells to practice and gets pretty pricey to shoot enough to stay tuned up. I hope it loosens up before too long or I may have to sit on the sidelines for awhile.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.