Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's good to shoot with a great squad of seasoned shooters that you know. However, it has distracted me in the past. I pay attention to targets missed by friends, as I feel their pain with them. Going it alone helps me stay focused but have experienced some horrible squads over the years, like most of us have. What works for you?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am still somewhat new to shooting ATA but this past summer I noticed that I tend to shoot better with strangers as oppose to friends. I found myself being concerned about friends missing targets instead of concentrating on what I am suppose to. I have recently learned to ignore anyone's misses and concentrate on getting in the zone and routine.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Shot my best scores with no one I knew on the squad. More self focus I guess. It fun to shoot with friends though. Many many times I've caught myself thinking of a squad mates scores when the wheels are falling off for them.

·
Administrator
8,655 Posts
I find it can be good with either way.Being comfortable in a squad with shooters you know is a good thing but like mentioned in prior posts you can easily get involved in other shooters misses or other issues. I have been fortunate that I have chosen to not pre-squad and have ended up making some new friends and have some great experiences.

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
Yes, I like to shoot with people I know. Reason, I do not want any surprises on the line including safety issues. With that being said, when shooting a tournament I would rather not shoot with relatives as I seem to be more concerned with watching their targets than my own.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
If I shoot with friend that are good shooters, I shoot well, if I shoot with friends that are average shooters my scores go down a little.
If I shoot with strangers on a squad where one is a new shooter and has more loss's than breaks I may as well just walk off the line because I know my score will be bad.
One time I got squaded for doubles with some big time really well know shooters, and I shot the best score I've ever done, C shooter with a 94.
So I guess it's a mind game, but for me it's real.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Whenever possible I shoot with my son, brothers & nephew. It may cost me, or them, a target from time to time but that's fine with me. The experience is worth more than whatever award might be available. But, we have won a few awards along the way. It's also kind of neat to see the score board with 5 Berry's on the squad. That all said, I also enjoy jumping on a squad where I don't know any of my squad mates.

·
Banned
197 Posts
My first ATA season was this past 2015 season and my scores were so up and down I can't really say that shooting on squads with familiar people helped or hurt. I just begun shooting trap in 2014 so I'm still learning how to play the game.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I squad with people I know when I can. If I am at a big shoot and don't know anyone, or I cant squad with any of my friends I will grab the earliest squad possible. There are times taking an early squad means I am shooting by myself or a 2-3 man squad. I have been stuck on some horrible squads over the years and these two methods are the only way I know to somewhat avoid bad squads.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah it's probably easier than some of those big dogs who have their squad mates ( friends ) call their chips. You have to buy fewer beers at the end of the day

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
I prefer to shoot with the "Missouri Mob" and or the "Sparta Rat Pack"! I am just more comfortable knowing where those guys are at all times!

Never leave your beer or livestock unattended around these guys!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would like to squad with shooters I know, but that's not always possible. I have a couple of close friends , I practice with a lot, but we are to competative with each other and in a tournament, I loose concentration, when one looses
A target, as I want to keep score in my mind, as to which one is shooting best.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts