Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get the popcorn......
I have been playing with chokes. That is unusual for me. My long time shooting buds know that I rarely if ever change anything on my gun. BUT just for giggles, I screwed a .30 out and put a .20 in and shot practice from my assigned 26 yard line.I shoot 7.5's at about 1225 for handicap. Breaks, when I pointed the gun in the right direction, were just as strong, and MY AVERAGES WENT UP!
I have long held that most shooters tend to "over choke". We hold to tradition in hunting and shooting. What ever grand pa said hangs on----no matter what. I feel that our belief in full chokes constrictions came from a time of limited powder choices, (probably) inferior shot quality, paper hulls, and LOUSY (by our standards) wad and shot cup selections. Tight chokes made sense then....But now with our better engineered and machined guns and more efficient ammo, I'm not so sure.
We see sporting shooters demolish targets 60 and even 80 yards! (Wish I could do that!). And If you believe Mr Winston's findings, ultra tight chokes DO NOT give clear evidence that breaks with tight chokes indicate where the gun is actually shooting, is there a need for ultra tight chokes even from the 27?
For sure I would rather have 100 chips than 90 "ink balls" and I do believe that anything a #8 will do, a #7.5 will do better!
I also believe that if you really believe in something, it does work for you. So, if you just have to have a choke that "let's them out one at a time" go for it! I'm just not sure the proof is there.
Now....Let'er rip!
My Best
Jim

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I am nowhere near the shooters you guys are but learning something every week. I have no proof just opinion.

I used to do a lot of fishing and had the tackle to show. Over the years spending tons of money on tackle I realized that I caught 95% of my fish on a handful of lures. So I got rid of the rest and use only what I have confidence in. The rest has become static noise and I am tuning it out.

Someday I hope to have the dilemma of how much difference does .10" make. But until then I will keep shooting until I find what I have the highest confidence in and continue focusing on that. I have learned to only change one thing at a time otherwise, even though I may do better, I will never figure out what exactly was the most helpful/detriment.

·
Registered
172 Posts
As everyone has probably done, I’ve been down the “experimenting with different chokes” before.
We all have probably heard the “Choke for Smoke” and all of the rest of the catch phrases also.

The bottom line is that if you “smoke or chip the bird”, it still is scored as a hit. I believe that if a particular choke gives you confidence that you will break more birds, then go for it.

Good luck to all!

Dave

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I tend to agree with you Jim. I like to try different choke constructions and see what if any difference they make. As long as my breaks are solid, I see no issue with opening up my pattern a bit. A couple weeks ago I slipped the mod. tube in my gun and was surprised to see that it was still ink balling the birds from 21 yards. I say use what gives you the most confidence in your shot.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I have a Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic that came with every choke but IM, so I bought that and tried it out. I put the full back in, and it stays in except for hunting, when the Mod. goes in. You hit a game farm pheasant with a Full choke, there's not much left to eat. My other Trap gun is a Ljutic with a fixed Full choke.
I did shoot a friend's Kx6S last summer with a Muller U2 in it, and it broke them just fine, though that was at 16 yards. He's been shooting it this year with a U3 in it. Hasn't affected his averages either way.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I don't know about this Jim, ... especially if you shoot a pattern board with these two different chokes at your 27 yard line break distance... which is what ... about 40 yards? I think the difference becomes a little more obvious.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Shoot what you like and gives you the confidence and scores that suit you. I've made some changes since discovering the true constrictions on some tubes and I think my scores have improved, at least from handicap (25.5).

·
Registered
715 Posts
You can break any target form 16 to 27 yards with an IC choke and a quality shell, consistently, if you do your part. If you like to break them into dust, sure tighter is better. But remember the overall patter size of IC and full are the same, the density at the pattern center is all that really changes. So hitting them isn't really any easier with one vice the other, but the odds of getting enough pellets on target to break it go up with a more open choke if you're not centered. You won't get smoke, just an "X" on the score sheet.

·
Premium Member
1,442 Posts
I know several good shooters with 90+ averages from the 27 who use IM. I once believed full was best for everything but noticed my singles average dropped during the 2 years of experience I had using full. I'm back to using my M for singles which provides superb patterns at 35 years and my 16 yd averages are moving up. My light full (.030) provides excellent patterns at 40 yards with 8s and 7.5s so it works for me at the 27.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
You can break any target form 16 to 27 yards with an IC choke and a quality shell, consistently, if you do your part. If you like to break them into dust, sure tighter is better. But remember the overall patter size of IC and full are the same, the density at the pattern center is all that really changes. So hitting them isn't really any easier with one vice the other, but the odds of getting enough pellets on target to break it go up with a more open choke if you're not centered. You won't get smoke, just an "X" on the score sheet.
Do you shoot registered?
I do and don't know of a single shooter using IC choke for handicaps or singles.
Thanks Henry

·
Registered
85 Posts
Get the popcorn......
I have been playing with chokes. That is unusual for me. My long time shooting buds know that I rarely if ever change anything on my gun. BUT just for giggles, I screwed a .30 out and put a .20 in and shot practice from my assigned 26 yard line.I shoot 7.5's at about 1225 for handicap. Breaks, when I pointed the gun in the right direction, were just as strong, and MY AVERAGES WENT UP!
I have long held that most shooters tend to "over choke". We hold to tradition in hunting and shooting. What ever grand pa said hangs on----no matter what. I feel that our belief in full chokes constrictions came from a time of limited powder choices, (probably) inferior shot quality, paper hulls, and LOUSY (by our standards) wad and shot cup selections. Tight chokes made sense then....But now with our better engineered and machined guns and more efficient ammo, I'm not so sure.
We see sporting shooters demolish targets 60 and even 80 yards! (Wish I could do that!). And If you believe Mr Winston's findings, ultra tight chokes DO NOT give clear evidence that breaks with tight chokes indicate where the gun is actually shooting, is there a need for ultra tight chokes even from the 27?
For sure I would rather have 100 chips than 90 "ink balls" and I do believe that anything a #8 will do, a #7.5 will do better!
I also believe that if you really believe in something, it does work for you. So, if you just have to have a choke that "let's them out one at a time" go for it! I'm just not sure the proof is there.
Now....Let'er rip!
My Best
Jim
Well if you're really using a 0.30" or a 0.20" choke then I'm surprised you'd hit anything! Unless you mean 0.030" and 0.020" in which case I 100% agree with everything you're saying. Its as simple as hitting the patterning board at the exact range you're shots are. Then you just adjust your choke tighter or looser depending on how the pattern looks. Glad this worked out for ya.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
MR Ducks
If the overall pattern size is the same for IC and full choke, where do all the extra pellets go in the thinner or less dense IC pattern?

1 - 20 of 186 Posts