Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m new to the site and need some help identifying the engraver of this Ithaca. I have contacted Walt Snyder and he was a great help. There is no grade number on the water table and the gun was made for the Grand in 1949 with a blued frame rather than case colored. Please email me with any thoughts. I appreciate any help that you may have. Regards, Bill

·
Registered
850 Posts
Looks a lot like the work of Albert Kraus, or perhaps one of his apprentices. He was the head engraver for LC Smith, but did a lot of work for other gun manufacturers like Ithaca and Lefever.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
You may want to give Doug Turnbull at Turnbull Restorations in Bloomfield, NY a call. Doug is a leader in the restoration industry, and could possibly have some information for you.

They have a web site so you could find the phone number there.

Dave in SC

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
Did you ask Walt to buy one of his books? Also did you email him pictures? It is definetly the highest grade made at the time whatever they were calling it in 1949. Maybe 5000. dollar grade? Nice piece. Bill

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
God. First the Cole pictures, now this. Good thing I have an extra keyboard, the drool has to dry off on this one.

HM

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
Bill Mains was not working for Ithaca in 1949 he engraved guns for ithaca from 1968 thru 1985. Also this gun would be a 1500 dollar grade. Up until 1937 it would have been a Sousa Grade, in 1937 it was changed to a 1000 dollar grade, in 1945 it was changed to a 1500 dollar grade and remained there until 1955.

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00567.jpg" target="_blank">
DSC00567.jpg
</a>

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00566.jpg" target="_blank">
DSC00566.jpg
</a>

Here is a picture of the water table and one side of a dollar grade engraved by Bill Mains.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Beautiful Ithaca. Bill Mains was just starting as an apprencice for a watch company in Philly about that time. So that rules him out.

Todd

·
Registered
452 Posts
Bill McLaren, I don't pretend to know anything about Ithaca SBTG's or their engravers, but I'll compliment you on the photos. Those are very good pics, and oh by the way the gun is a beauty too. Thanks for asking the question and posting the photos. Now we'll hope somebody who knows more than I do can come up with a name for you.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Did Walt Snyder not give you information on the original configuration of this gun? It has a European look to it. The figures look like they are not quite finished. Is this the way they really look? I like the gun a lot and would like to know the full story.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.