Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This procedure is an old one and very accurate, you take 2 hulls one 12 gauge and one 20 gauge, cut them off above the Brass, I like the tall brass shells the best.

Knock out the primers, take the Bbl off your 12 Gauge shotgun/trapgun.

Put in the 12 gauge hull in the chamber, and the 20 gauge in the Barrell.

Now look through the 12 gauge primer hole/with a clean Barrell w/the 20 gauge in the end of the Barrell and look at the reflection rings, if they are all equal in width, the Bbl is straight.

If they the rings are narrow at the top and wider at the bottom the Bbl is bent up.

If wider at top and narrower at bottom the Barrell is bent down.

If to the side is narrower the barrel will shoot to the narrower direction.

You can do this to check the Bbl on a pre-purchase of a gun/even a new one so you will not get taken advantage of.

This is more accurate than a laser/because the laser may not be accurate, to check a laser/shell rull it on a very smoothe surface and see if the dot stays
centered w/o going up and down.

A Bbl can still be bent using a laser.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

·
Vendor
19,392 Posts
This is the "Seehase Peep System"

BTW, if anyone has a actual Seehase Peep set, I'll buy them/it

Jack.

I use Gary's idea/set all teh time. It does not prove that the rib is on strate. YOu need the laser sight to prove that, or do the 13 yard pattern test as designed by Neil (who?)

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
i have seen barrels that are bent that the owners shoot great? and guys who think their barrel is bent but i bring it to work, put it between bench center and indicate it,etc, and prove to them its straight. barrels wont fit in the cmm, so thats a no go. but your method is interesting. joseph

·
Registered
589 Posts
Jack;

Didn't the Seehase peeps have a o-ring on the muzzle peep to allow for slop of different size chokes? That way they we're always centered in the muzzle. The 20 gauge hull works best with a full choke.

Ken

·
Registered
21 Posts
All this is after actually hitting a patterning board, I assume?

If not, how would you know if the barrel is off, and if the pattern is hitting where you're looking...why would it matter?

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Stock Positioning Systems sells a copy of the Seehase peeps. I think they may even throw them in free with orders (maybe if you meet a $ minimum).

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lou22: I use them when I am considering a gun to purchase, they do fit a full choke best, this is a poor mans system but it does work as the rings do not lie as in using the Seehase Peeps.

It does nothing about checking the rib installation.

It will show bulges in the Bbl also.

If want a straight Bbl on the gun you are purchasing.

I have used this system for over 40 years, IT WORKS.

Take a pair to the gun show or dealer the next time. they fit in your pocket.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Mike, really it works. You don't really need the peeps, though. Just look down the tube for the same information Gary cites. Spend a little time. You will see some light and dark doughnuts and observe their shapes using Gary's criteria.

It's all I use when I want to gauge how much I've bent a barrel to make it shoot straight. And, of course, shooting straight is all that counts, not the bend in the barrel, if any.

Many, if not most, single barrels benefit from a little tweaking, right or left. You don't do it until you have determined, with many shots, that it does not shoot straight, of course. Sometimes, when testing alerts you to side-shooting, you will find that you should have looked more carefully down the gun. "Huh . . . I'm really off the side a little, aren't I? is what you finally see, though you have never noticed it before. In this case, the cure is in the stock, not the barrel.

Neil

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Mike, you don't need any of that stuff. Just look down the bore. For a while you won't see what you are looking for then - Snap! - all of a sudden you will see light and dark rings which will be concentric circles or slightly misshapen doughnuts, a bit fat on one side or another or two. The barrel is bent away from the fatter side. After you have seen it once, you will see it every time you look down a barrel's bore.

Neil

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Well, you will see the rings, Jack, even with a Pizzagun. Maybe they won't be non-round; that's all.

And you really have to _look_, by the way. Look & look. "It's it really, really round?" you have to ask yourself. I suppose if you do have to look that hard is _is_ OK, but we are doing our homework, aren't we?

I am willing to buy almost any deviation right or left in a single barrel if the rest of the gun is sound and the price is OK. There's little a forked tree can't fix.

Neil

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Bills, you just go a _little_ too far straightening it, then ease it back just the smallest bit. It will stay. It works for connecting rods (and is in fact the way it's done); it works for gun barrels.

When you straighten it you aren't reading rings to get it straight anymore, you just use them to keep track of how the bending is going. You are making it shoot straight, and the barrel may be perfectly straight after you are done. Or it may not be, but the criterion is performance, not linearity.

Neil

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
No, and it doesn't have to _be_ straight, it just has to _shoot_ straight, and sometimes a maker will yield on shooting crooked if you can prove it. They have done it for me, for example. I had a (deleted) which had to be bent so much you could see it in the rack and they made me a new one, but I had a whole stack of pattern papers to document my claim.

Neil

1 - 20 of 39 Posts