Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have a gun in your House?

When I had my gangrene gallbladder taken out and spent 10 days in the hospital for what should have

been an overnight stay the insurance company kicked me out. I had home nurse visits for two weeks and

was asked if I had guns in the house. I respond that

if I did I would not tell them. So the below has some merit. FYI, I am passing this along...there are

comments from two other people that have also been asked if they keep guns in the house. The nurse just

kind of slipped it in along with all the other regular questions. I told her I refused to answer because it

was against the law to ask. Everyone, whether you

have guns or not, should give a neutral answer so

they have no idea who does and who doesn't. My

doctor asked me if I had guns in my house and

also if any were loaded. I, of course, answered

yes to both questions. Then he asked why I kept

a loaded gun close to my bed. I answered that

my son, who is a certified gun instructor and also

works for Homeland Security, advised me that an unloaded, locked up gun is no protection against criminal attack. The Government now requires these questions be asked of people on Medicare, and

probably everyone else. Just passing this along for

your information: I had to visit a doctor other than

my regular doctor when my doctor was on vacation.

One of the questions on the form I had to fill out was:

Do you have any guns in your house?

My answer was None of your business!!

So it is out there! It is either an insurance issue or government intervention. Either way, it is out there

and the second the government gets into your medical records (as they want to under Dumbo Care) it will become a major issue and will ultimately result in lock and load!!

Please pass this on to all the other retired guys and

gun owners...

Thanks, from a Vietnam Vet and retired Police Officer:

I had a doctors appointment at the local VA clinic yesterday and found out something very interesting

that I would like to pass along.. While going through triage before seeing the doctor, I was asked at the

end of the exam, three questions:

1. Did I feel stressed?

2. Did I feel threatened?

3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone?

The nurse then informed me, that if I had answered

yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into

my medical records and the VA would have reported

it to Homeland Security.

Looks like they are going after the vets first.

Other gun people like retired law enforcement will probably be next.

Then when they go after the civilians, what argument will they have?

Be forewarned and be aware.

The Dumbo Administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun owners potential terrorists.

Whether you are a gun owner, veteran or not,

YOU"VE BEEN WARNED!

If you know veterans and gun owners,

please pass this on to them.

Be very cautious about what you say and to whom!!

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
Strange as it may seem, I have been on Medicare for 22 years and use it frequently and have never been asked that question. Seems as though this is a scare tactic.

GneJ

·
Registered
356 Posts
I was recently trying to change my homeowners and car insurance, as rates had gone up. The agent asked if I had guns in the apartment where I live. I asked what would happen if I failed to answer the question, she said they could not issue the policy. I asked what would happen if I just renewed my old insurance company policy at the higher quote. She said I would not have to answer the questions, just pay the policy as I have for the last 25 years as it was a renewal. They write the rules. I had seen the same three questions during a doctors visit, where they were updating their records. I left them blank, and the secretary asked if I missed these. I said no, I chose not to answer. The doctor saw me and kind of laughed, as he shoots sporting clays where I go in PA. He said insurance company policy. I believe it will get worse as they try to " Big Brother " the population, completely.

Rich K- chemist- NJ resident

·
Vendor
19,395 Posts
Hippie. I've been asked twice about guns by my regular medical people. Your doc probably is a "packer"

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
If your homeowners policy/company doesn't know you have guns in the home, how will they ever pay a claim on them if something happens? Seems to me they out of the people that may ask should DEFINATELY know that you do, and the value. I agree that NO medical personnel has any business knowing nor your health insurance company.

I never tell anyone what I have, but my homeowners company knows because I want them covered in the event of a tragic accident that may cause a loss of my prized possessions.

Am I off base??

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Many homeowners policies have a cap on certain items, like guns and cameras. If you want to exceed the cap you have to get a rider for them at extra cost.

·
Molon Labe
11,992 Posts
I've never had any doctor ask me if I had any guns, I know they have asked others, but I guess I am just so good looking they never have LOL

But if they did I would tell them nah I did but I sold them to to get enough money to build my meth lab

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I can personally vouch for the claims that the VA Hospital does indeed ask these questions. They ask all veterans these stupid questions, but just think before you answer yes to any of them. If you think the government appreciated your time in service, think again. Most Americans did but the government looks at all of us today as a liability and a cost to them that they want to go away. I'm proud to have served the people of my country and respect all others who did the same. US Army, 1st Cav 72-75.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
If you expect that question to come up when you visit a Doctor or such, can't you just pack all your guns into your car or truck and take them to a trustworthy friend and let them hold the guns until AFTER you have answered the question with a NO. When you answered there were no guns in your house so you are being completely truthful. Of course that condition just might change after you leave the Doctor's office now couldn't it?

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
My VA Doc knows I am a firearms trainer. The question about firearms is a moot point. (see fourth paragraph)

However, if I am interviewed during a checkup with a new nurse, I get the Big Three, Do I have nightmares, do I want to hurt anyone, do I want to hurt myself.

I do not have nightmares, do not want to hurt any one, and do not want to hurt myself. That last would be painful. LOL

BTW, if you have state licenses, they are a matter of public record. I am a certified Instructor for both our Dept' of Safety and Homeland Security, and the Dept' of Commerce and Insurance. Also, HCP to carry, and still hold on to my Armed Guard card.

If you have ever bought a box of bullets or gun accessory on a credit card or online and believe "the list" exists, you are on it.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Glad I live here (Alberta). No medical professional (or anybody working for one) has ever asked me if I have firearms in my home. And neutral answers would be my reply, should they.

Ron Burr

·
Molon Labe
11,992 Posts
I go to the VA in Bonham Texas once a month, damn rat poison blood tests and I have never been asked

The nurse that checks my feet for diabetes problems even shows me the pictures of the deer she shoots when the season is open, you would never guess she is a hunter

Guess it might be because Bonham is in the sticks

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Catpower,

I assume you are speaking of taking coumadin (rat poison). Ask your doctor about changing your coumadin prescription to the drug Xarelto. It is a blood thinner like coumadin but does not required monthly testing nor any special dietary considerations. I was on coumadin due to having a couple of bouts of atrial fibrillation. My cardiolist changed the prescription to Xarelto about a year ago. I have had no problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Old One Eye,

Its not uncommon for home health agencies to request information regarding firearms in the home; we go into some pretty shaky areas, and want to know what the hell we are getting into.

jdp

1 - 20 of 37 Posts