Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I am old enough to have begun shooting when we didn't always wear eye and ear protection. It doesn't take a catastrophic failure for you to get eye damage; I have had problems just from gases and powder particles. My wife is an ophthalmologist and I have heard some horror stories from her about about injuries from shooting, though not from organized events where everyone wears protection. So, you have two reasons to get a pair of glasses: protection and providing contrast on targets. It is like buying shotguns, you can start with cheap ones that will just do the job, but you will become more discriminating and demanding , leading you to buy better glasses.
actually.... funny you mention gases/powder particles. originally i bought the pair i have now(and dont use/like) because i had an issue with a new remington v3 i picked up in february. it was doing exactly what you mentioned, throwing gases/powder in my eyes EVERY time i pulled the trigger. at one point i felt stuff hit me in the eye, blinked and felt like it was still there. cleared it with my finger and sure as hell, there was a spec of unburnt powder.

that gun is currently at the remington plant in NY now for the past 6~ weeks, on parts hold waiting on a new barrel AND forend.

i dunno why this experience didnt drive home the point of the importance of eye protection.

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
anyone wanna chime in on how good these glasses are?
I have not looked at them and I more than likely will not. Because like I told you, what works for me, may not work for you. Some shooters like a orange lens to enhance a orange target. To them it works great, but for me, I hate a orange lens. It seems to make everything I look at orange and it makes it harder for me to separate just the targets. For me "Contrast" works better. A lens that helps soften the background thus allowing me to see just the orange target better, so I often use a purple lens to dull a wooded,tree,low bushes kind of background. In low light I like a Yellow lens and at night I like a clear lens that has been treated for anti-reflection. I also need dark Polarized lens for very bright shooting days. First thing you need to find out is what colors help you, and which color do not. Some colors might even make it harder for your eye to see targets. For me Contrast between the target and the background works best to highlight the target. What works best for you? The problem with many package deals are you end up paying for lenses you don't need or don't work for you, and how to get another color that does work for you better if they don't even make one? If you stick with Ranger shooting glasses, or Decot's, or Pilla's you get a vast selection of proven colors over the years. Not the colors that somebody made to many of, that they placed in your 3 lenses set. Take your time!!! Or you'll be shipping packages all across the country on your dime. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
465 Posts
One other thing that you can consider. If you are having to buy Rx lenses and find you really don't care for a certain color that you ended up buying, you can have most lenses stripped of a color and dyed a different color for short money.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
most of my shooting has been at the club on the weekends when no one but me/my family are around, with my wheelybird. its a small club and trap is tuesday night only. since i work night shift i cant make it usually. i took off last week and went, first time shooting on a line with others around. one guy mentioned not having glasses, but when i told him my cheap glasses have large frames that i dont like because they partially obstruct my vision he just mentioned "you should definitely wear them still for safety purposes" and didnt press the issue after. hence why im here asking.

the pair i have are yellow, but i havent worn them enough to see if color's really make a difference, i dont mind them on bright sunny days. i should have just grabbed a pair of clear/no frame version from work to take to the club that night, but it didnt cross my mind
Speaking of "Night Only" I used to wear glasses that would change tint automatically. They would also darken at night with the lights behind us.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Buy a cheaper pair now as you don't have any. Keep that pair around for friends or family. Someone always need one. Then shop and buy the ones you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Take a look @ Dtech-shooters Glasses! I did a lot shopping around, and found these to be the best deal out there. For $239.00 you get frames and three sets of RX lenses. Call Gary a [email protected] 810-869-6290. Great product and outstanding customer service. You won't be sorry!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have a pair of Wiley X with interchangeable lenses that I would highly recommend

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I would call Wayne at Morgan Optical Sport Glasses in Olean, NY at 716) 379-8773 about Ranger shooting glasses options.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
today i went out and shot up some reloads(my first ever reloads) and decided to wear glasses. many times i had the bird cross the frames and go out of sight, got frustrated and took them off.

i ordered the oakley tombstone reap array from midway since it seems like an excellent deal($99 normally 300). i just hope they fit well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Egad! Please don't continue shooting without eye protection! It's required by ATA rules for very good reasons. As for what to buy I'd suggest an inexpensive pair of clear lenses to start. Make sure they are impact rated for shooting sports. Clear lenses will give you no reason to blame the glasses no matter the conditions. As for colors, try different ones during different conditions. I'm sure other shooters will let you have a look through theirs. You will immediately notice a difference in how the target appears but pay attention to the background also. My vermillion glasses make every speck of a broken orange target stand out like a laser beam, but in certain conditions when the sky is cloudy I can lose the target completely. I've learned to take a second (clear) pair to the line just in case. In hot weather some anti-fog wipes are also essential.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Eye protection is a no brainer. When I started shooting trap, I didn't like shooting glasses because of obstruction and comfort. The man that started me shooting insisted that I use them and he bought me a pair of Decot's. At the second shoot that I attended, I was on post3 and the shooter on post 4 slammed his pump gun shut and it discharged into the gravel in front of me blowing gravel up into my face and cracking my right lens and cutting my face from gravel. Needless to say, I've not shot without glasses since. That was 50 years ago. My suggestion is to make sure that whatever glass you chose, make sure that it is impact rated. A broken piece of plastic or glass lens can ruin your eyesight. Bill

·
Registered
71 Posts
I used a pair of clear $20 Remington Shooting Glasses that I got on Amazon. They scratched the first time I took them out (my fault) and would fog up on me all the time. I could still see and shoot the targets fine, but I wanted to invest in this sport and I got a good amount back in taxes so I went with Pilla.

Pilla is ridiculous as to how crystal clear everything is. The damn clays seem to glow while all the other colors are muted. They have not given me even a hint of fog or have anything obstructing my vision at all. And as great as that all is, I still went out with them and shot the same scores that I was getting with my Remington cheap $20 glasses. Practice increases your scores in this game, not glasses (unless you know, you need a prescription and you don't currently have one).

Shoot with eye and ear protection every time. It's not worth the risk.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have tried several different brands. I found a 3 lens decot set that I like. Oakleys are nice also. I do have the Oakley Array Tombstone set in case available if anyone is interested. Its brand new. They are a little large for my face.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I would feel naked without glasses or ear protection. I bought some relatively cheap ones with multiply colors but only use the yellow. You can definitely notice a difference wearing them and seems to ad a clarity to the field.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I'm shooting at a couple of different places and at one of them the background is variously dark woods to open light green brush to open sky, depends which way the target goes and which station you are on.
The background on the skeet fields are particularly variable on posts 3, 4 and 5 where the targets cross and the sweep is wide.
Sometimes I just don't SEE the damned target.

So, what colors to pick ?
I remember many years ago having a color blindness test in which I had to see numbers and letters of different colors against different backgrounds - it didn't matter what the colors were called, just whether or not the number or letter could be distinguished from the background. Blue/green, red/orange, yellow/orange, blue/gray combinations, etc.
Is there a similar test I could take to help me pick out shooting glass colors ?
Preferably on line.

EDIT;
OK, I just found the Ishihara test on line. Perfect on the numbers and squiggly line plates.
I was kinda HOPING to have a bit of trouble with one or two that would help me know which colors I have trouble distinguishing between - and from that what color shooting glasses to use.
Maybe its just the age old problem ? - - age/old.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't know if you have this option or not, but when I was in the market for shooting glasses I went to my local state shoot and tried a bunch of different brands.

Most if not all of the venders that sold shooting glasses were more than willing to let me try different frame and color combinations to see what worked best for me, this worked out great since I could see the difference that each different lenses made.

·
Registered
426 Posts
While I agree with wearing glasses for safety. I shoot better without glasses on days of heavy cloud cover. I shoot much better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I borrowed some with purple lenses, they really seem to make the clays show up. That said they are all expensive and I just keep using my generic clear ones.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts