Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do people regularly shoot Model 21

I am considering trading or selling my Baker Elite for a trap gun I can use on a regular basis.

I like the look of the Winchester Model 21 trap and unlike my Baker (with its 34" Howitzer of a barrel) the Model 21 I shouldered in a store felt real good

My question is this: Do people serious about trap shooting use model 21's or is their relatively high price due to their rarity and good looks instead of their function?

Is the market paying $5000 and up for model 21's because shooters want to shoot a side by side for trap or is the value really a function of history, nostaglia, beauty and condition?

Lou

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Lou:
I have a trap model 21.
The value in it is that it shoots and points beautifully (as long as it fits), and has that great legacy and history.
Take care of it, and I think the value will only increase over the long run.
The trick in shooting it is to keep your eye on the bird, not the twin barrels, and you will smoke them.
Regards,
Dave

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have shot a 21 at both ATA singles and doubles. I shot some very good doubles scores (winning on occasion) with a 21 Trap grade gun. I also have a very nice CSM gun and if I shoot it on a regular basis I can and do shoot AA scores (but not winning scores). If I do not shoot the gun all of the time my scores fall dramatically. I find a Perazzi much more forgiving and easier to shoot, but not nearly as much fun.

jlb

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
side x sides whether they are 21's or another model are a rarity in the hands of serious competitors at a major trap shoot. I've only seen 1 in use in almost 20 years of attending the Grand. Use to shoot one all the time for duck hunting until steel shot became mandatory. Still use one w/ Bismuth on occasion but somehow it just isn't the same.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very informative!
Thank you

Looks like I will cool my jets and wait till I find a single barrel or O/U with the right combination of fit and history

Maybe a nice model 12 or a superposed

Are there any good classic American O/U's

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
If you want to shoot a 21, you will experience 2 things. Recoil and impact problems. The 21's are barrel light, and shoot flat. If you opt to buy a 21 , try to find one w/ 32" barrels. More barrel weight and a longer sighting plane will both help. They are a hoot to shoot. Some time I'll post pics of my 32" with Tom Smith wood and Bill Mains engraving. I use mine w/ 1 oz loads for sporting clays.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Setterman- I agree with you about the recoil problems. After custom stocking and engraving my M-21, I was able to shoot 5 pair of doubles before the pain became too great.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
41 Posts
If I am not mistaken, John Sternberger used to shoot doubles with a model 21. I asked for his help in the mid 80's on doubles and he showed up with a 21. He hadn't shot any targets for many years and I introduced him to some light loads to get away from the recoil. He traditionally shot 3 dram 7 1/2 for everything when he was an active shooter. Shoulder problems sidlined him (surprise). I believe he began shooting a few targets for a while for enjoyment with the light loads. By the way, after not shooting for many years (15 or so), he missed the first pair and then broke the next 48 straight.

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
Very true Euro. I've seen 21's with custom stocks and RAD systems at box shoots.
3 1/4 dram 1 1/4 oz out of a 21 spells O-U-C-H, but they swing so good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.