Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To me, these 1090 fps loads have considerably less perceived recoil than the 1145 fps version. Who uses this load and what has been your experience with them? I know that a lot of you are going to say to use 1 oz or 7/8 oz to reduce recoil, but I'm not wanting to reduce my payload to achieve less recoil. I want a soft load that gives me the best chance to break 100/100 singles.

PS, I shoot the singles pretty quick so they don't get way out there.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I shot some AA low recoil loads that I believe were 1090fps. I also used to shoot some Nobel Sport LR's that were close to that same ballistic data. They were just as advertised, low recoil. They did great for singles but that would be all I'd try them for. The kids on our High School Trap team loved 'em especially the smaller stature boys and the girls.

They are not real common and sometimes tough to find.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've tried the federal X lite 1 1/8 at 1100 fps and they have less recoil than 1145s!
I've shot very few, but was impressed with the lack of recoil.......have you shot enough of them to determine whether they are a benefit for you in singles?

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,719 Posts
These will smoke a 16 yd target and tell you really fast if you have a flinch. They almost sound and feel like a dud round. Only 70 fps slower than 1090 so having shot these and not the STS, I would all but guarantee that 1090 would smoke them at 1-1/8oz payload. Surprisingly, these also cycled fine in my auto.

197404.jpg
And for the empties...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yes I've shot a flat of them! I had heart surgery(3 stents) a month ago and had just been cleared to shoot again. I needed low recoil to start up again and these were the ticket!! Really not much different than 1145 except the lack of recoil!! They'll smoke em just as good as any!!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Remington introduced the "Premier Rem-Lite" load in the Green RTL hull in about 1986 or 1987. 12 Gauge, 1-1/8oz at 1100 fps. Had them in the line until discontinued in 2014. Sold ok for a few years in STS (1996 intro) but sales dwindled over the years. Nearly impossible to find them anymore.

Scott Hanes

Attachments

·
Just getting by.....
988 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
They won't automatically make a C class shooter into a AA, but most shooters who try low velocity 1 or 1 1/8 ounce loads will break a lot of targets, and be happy with how they do it, because they will know how they did it.

·
Vendor
2,067 Posts
I shot Federal XTraLites for a lot of years and liked the low recoil and tight patterns.

From the 16 yard line, I could see no difference in lead required.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Dandy
if you get some can you let us know the brand and any shell detail on the box. We have a friendly agent at ours and I have never seen them.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Look at reloading data from powered MFG's I don't remember loads or the powder exactly but i started my daughter at 850 fps with 1 1/8 load.. i think i was using 700X at the time. Yes it burned dirty....... she shot often and i would ad about a 1/2 grain of powder each time i reloaded, over several weeks I had it up to 1100 fps .... store bought shell speeds.... but make sure you go but the powder mfg data so your safe. You will never find a store bought shell to your liking.

Shoot well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, shoot often

1 - 18 of 18 Posts