Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had dizzyness after shooting. The web says a person can cause vertigo {dizzyness} from head trauma or neck injury. I would like any info you could supply on this. Thanks

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I would highly recommend you seek advice from your doctor soon. This is something that can be casued from simple vision problems, ear infections all the way to more severe brain issues. For real!! I'm not gonna try and scare you with stories but my cousin had the latter from his dizzieness. Just please let a pro check you out no matter the advice your given here. Good luck and take care.

Matt

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Last year I was getting it and I figured I had a plugged ear. When it hit me was when I took my ear plugs out. Just that much suction on the old plugged ear can be the culprit.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I have the afflicting. Actually collapsed walking to the field at Jaqua's two years ago. I arrived early so I sat and rested for 15 minutes. I had paid for the event and figured I would shoot it. I was really shaky for the first 25. Managed a 99 so I was ecstatic. Left the field and went for a snooze in the car. Recoil did not aggravate the condition for me.

In hindsight it was stupid to shoot. Falling with a loaded gun with a release trigger is dangerous. My buddy did not shoot and followed me to every field to make sure I was OK. He carried my shells for me between the first and second traps and made me feel like an old man. Good friends are a blessing.

I had two MRI's. Nothing wrong. My flare ups have diminished significantly.

Good idea to get checked out as it can be something serious.

Don Verna

·
Registered
12,481 Posts
Sometimes it is caused by particles building up behind the eardrum.This is what happened to me. I went to the doctor and he performed a manuever with my neck rotating my head to get the fluid moving the calcium deposits again. Had to go back a few times so he showed my wife and I hoe to rotate the neck to get me straightened out. Anytime I had the problem I just rotated my head while laying down the way the doctor showed me and I was fine again.

I Emailed the instructions to at least a 1/2 dozen guys on this site.There was a thread on this about a year ago, you may want to do a search and read it. Bulge.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I still have Bulge's email, and can forward it if you want...also, I took Dramamine on the days the vert was really bad...HAVEN'T. Had a shooting related episode tho....LarryB

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Yes hangover; I was forced to stop shooting trap in my 40s related to recoil induced vertigo. As has been mentioned, there are a host of causes for 'dizziness' and an evaluation to include a MRI and likely carotid duplex scan is mandatory. My problem is/was a combination of a familial ear problem called otosclerosis and multiple sports and MVA related head and neck injuries.

I went through about every recoil management option for both my hopeless flinch and the vertigo, without success. I'd have trouble walking between station 4 & 5 on the first round :(

I'm thankful that I can at least shoot a round of LOW GUN skeet (oh the shame! :) ) with light loads and an 8 pound gun, and can shoot one round of LOW GUN trap; but with only 10-15 shots PRE-MOUNTED I'm spinning. The meds mentioned are somewhat sedating so they probably won't do anything good for your performance.

Wish I could be more encouraging, but the NFL and NHL are just now beginning to recognize the cumulative effects of head injuries

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/post-concussion-syndrome/DS01020

Drew Hause MD

·
Registered
553 Posts
Like Don said, Antivert worked for me, i fought with it for about 5 years after an ear infection, I still feel it 2-3 times a year for a few seconds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.