Trapshooters Forum banner

Disturbing Find

5149 Views 23 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Joe Trapalino
hiding behind the recoil pad.....

Brand new, right out of the box - CG Summit Sporting with a total of 5 rounds of factory Federal Top Gun target loads (TGT128s) through it for patterning. Got a coupon from CG and needed to see If the DTS stock was bored to accept the balancer without needing further milling/boring as described by CG on the website.

The good news is the appropriate counterbore exists as stated by CG Italy. The bad news is the checking I found when inspecting. How likely is this slab to separate at the grain when seating the DTS cylinder into the bore? I’m concerned I may be up the creek without a paddle on warranty if it splits and CG balks. I’m calling them tomorrow to see what my options are; I may just send the stock down to Maryland and let them worry about it. Seems like cheap insurance to me, but the disappointment remains.

I’d love to hear some feedback from those with more wood experience than I have (relatively none).

A Sunday evening bummer. :(
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2,995 Posts

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stock is being sent to CG Maryland for determination. I’ll know more later after inspection. I wasn’t too pleased with the phone call after they looked at the images. I’ll see what happens.

· Registered
112 Posts
I sold hardwood lumber for 30 years all over the world. From the photo it looks like shake which is a wood defect (fiber separation) developing in the living tree that can manifest itself even after a piece of lumber is dried and even milled. Most often found in trees grown in a wet site. If detected upon grading of freshly sawn or lumber just kiln dried it would be considered a defect just as a knot, split or ingrown bark. It can be very difficult to see when grading in some species or situations.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Following on from the original post......got a call this morning from the custom shop at CG requesting I return the gun in its entirety and the Kinetic Balancer I had purchased to them in Maryland. They’ll be installing new wood, matched and fitted and also installing the balancer while there. A mention was made that I will be pleased with the wood being installed that is apparently an upgrade. I didn't ask for that, they offered it. Kudos for customer service.

The folks in the custom shop gave this stock the thumbs down on two points - the void that’s evident in the photos and also a crack they found that extended up and through the stock below the DTS portion, also along the grain. They poo-poo’d it on those two defects.

Here’s the original stock prior to packing for its trip to Maryland-

It’s nothing special - kind of like a girl-next-door stock, which is fine. Now I’ll pack the rest and hope for the best but so far, so good. (y)

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Came back to give a big shout-out to the folks at Griffin & Howe in Andover, NJ. After two hours of complete nonsense from FedEx about how I can't ship firearms without an FFL :mad: , I decided I had heard enough from three different idiots that wear the purple uniform. Even their own "Dangerous Goods" representatives don't have a clue. The legal technicalities are written clear as day on their own website, but I think there's a general lack of knowledge on the topic since guns are just 'bad'. Remember, we're talking NJ here.......🤬

Called G&H, explained the story and they were more than happy to proxy the shipment as a repair accommodation. No NICS check needed, no flaming hoops to jump through, no fancy paperwork as described by one FedEx dope...no problem at all.

Another gem in a customer service wasteland. Glad I did my business with them, they'll see me again and I'll spend more next time. Because, customer focus matters.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Last post from me on this topic.

After a month, all is well that ends well. Caesar Guerini USA stood up when asked to and made good on the defective stock this gun shipped with. They chose a nice piece of wood for me - nothing that screams. It’s interesting that when mounting this gun, the fit is different than the original but in a good way. I need less adjustment in comb than before. No complaints. Fit and finish is excellent. Kinetic Balancer installed while CG had it. I’m a happy owner and glad to know that GC USA is prepared to honor its warranty when it’s justified. “Thank you” to CG USA.

All is well that ends well.

New wood-

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.