Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 686 SP Sporting and I just don’t like it. Fit and finish isn’t great, the forend feels loose, and it’s been in the shop getting work done on it multiple times. I’ve had it fitted and even then I don’t love shooting it.

I’m wondering if it isn’t time to look to a new gun. I don’t think I want to spend the $15-20k at this point for a K gun or Perazzi.

I’d consider a lightly used gun and am looking for something with a mid rib. I’d love to stay under $5k but could push that to mid $6s if it was worth it.

I do not want another Beretta.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Perhaps a used Perazzi MX series ?

May not be "lightly used" but only from the perspective that it would be 10plus years old. However, you won't wear it out in your life time. Moreover, in the event you want to sell, you would be able to sell and probably quickly.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,198 Posts
I know you don’t want another beretta, but I’ve found the a400 multitarget with KO to be a joy to shoot. If you definitely want an o/u, I second the used perazzi route or consider a k-32 or older k80. Neither of those will really have a mid rib though. Browning is a decent option as mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
I have P gun 32 inch MX2000/8 sporting clays gun and Browning XS 30 inch. If I were starting over, I would just have the Browning. I shoot P gun better, I believe it is because I've shot it more. The Browning feels really good in my hands.

Reactions: trapshootinkid25

·
Administrator
8,595 Posts
If you live in a area where there are larger sporting facilities say like San Antonio you would have the opportunity to try several.

The choices are numerous and obvious esp. in the 5K range...lots of choices used in Caesar G.--Blaser--Browning(Guns Unlimited)-You might even find a used K or P in the 6k range that is pretty nice you just have to search hard.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Oh? You're a sporting clays shooter, not a trapshooter?

I'd suggest a TriStar.
Nah, I'm a Trapshooter. If you look at my shoot totals you will see I can't shoot well but I do often. I enjoy trap and Sporting Clays, SC is a nice break after months of being added money in trap. I shoot for fun, and having fun with my friends is an important part of the recreation. And I shoot skeet, and I really suck at that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the recommendations, all. My worry about Browning is that it wouldn't necessarily solve some of the fit and finish issues I've had with my Beretta (or would be at risk of some of the same mechanical issues), particularly if I went with an analogue to a 686.

I was looking for a "higher" class of gun. CG seems like an obvious thing to look at for new in that range. Something like an F3 supersport used or a screaming deal on a used K-80 prosporter or a Perazzi seem like options, too.

I do live around a big shooting complex but the sporting area is usually rather empty -- not a lot of folks around with guns to shoot. My plan was to wait for a big shoot to roll through when things are back in motion and have an idea of what I'd like to shoot. Hopefully in the new few months.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Beretta's in general don't fit me. Can't get down on them ans the combs slap the crap out of my cheek bone. Browning CX (or special sporting) fit me like a glove.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts