Trapshooters Forum banner

Dished and High crimp questions

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  pheasantmaster 
#1 ·
I have a question regarding high or dished crimps. I have a 8567N and once I got it going have had zero issues....except.

Loading AA's the other day I had a case after the pre-crimp station had the shot almost coming out the top....I didn't finish it and weighed both the shot and powder charge and they were pretty much perfect. I did notice that the writing (finish) was completely gone.

Today, I just finished this round (pictured) and it was completely opposite and had a very dished crimp. Same thing...shot and powder are spot on...although the finish of the casing has all identification gone.

Have I somehow gotten a case that looks like an AA but isn't?
Red Computer keyboard Technology Electronic device Input device

Am a bit bumfuzzled.

The high case was a few days ago and I already cut it up so have no picture.

See less See more
#7 ·
A couple of possibilities. You may not have AA hulls. Check the head stamp for shell ID. Or you may have a mix of CF and HS hulls. Internal volumes are different. The photo looks like insufficient stack height. Did you change wads? If you used the same components both times, the only thing I can think of is that the hulls are different.

#8 ·
Loading AA's the other day I had a case after the pre-crimp station had the shot almost coming out the top
What wad are you using? Your picture shows what appears to be the latest version of an AA hull with a line under the AA. I've "tried" various wads that do not have air relief slits in the over-powder skirt of the wad. Therefore once the wad is supposedly seated, trapped air pressure pushes the wad up with the shot inside. The shot level sometimes looked way to high after station 3. I've actually removed them from the reloader and manually pushed the column back down with a 3/4 in dowel, etc, then all is good.
That AA basewad is taller than what one thinks, and apparently seals better than one thinks, in some hulls. I no longer use that type of wad in AA's.

#11 ·
Sorry for the late reply. I am using CB 3/4 oz. wad with a Win. 209 primer with 17 gr. Titewad powder and 3/4 oz. shot. I am within a whisker for those that caused the issue.

I am guilty of grabbing hulls from the range, so I may have gotten something other than I thought.

Thanks for the responses so far.

#13 ·
This is the dish crimp cut apart. I do not have the shell that was high. It has already been thrown away. My bad I know.

Red Technology

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
This is the dish crimp cut apart. I do not have the shell that was high. It has already been thrown away. My bad I know.

View attachment 1675043
I was hoping to see the entire stack, from bottom to top. I wanted to see the position of the wad in the hull in relation to the powder, the basewad, the condition of the crush section of the wad, etc. I wanted to see why the crimp was so dished. What I meant was a slice from the top to the bottom of the hull. I guess we'll just have to wait for another one.

#17 ·
That picture looks odd. When I look into a genuine AA hull, the base wad tapers smoothly into the wall of the hull - there is no flat top on the base wad as there appears to be in the photograph. I'm not that much of an expert on AA hulls through the years as the folks on here who reload thousands and thousands of them every year are, but the configuration in that photograph looks weird to me.

#18 ·
I just looked at a cut open AAHS I happen to have on my desk and the rim at the top of the basewad is beveled. The picture above may "appear" to have a flat top, but I think that appearance might attributable to the angle of the photo. The OP can verify that.

#19 ·
Sorry for my crappy disecting/pathology and responses. I will try and do better next time. :D

#21 ·
I have a very sharp Browning knife (or two)...but shotgun hulls seem to be immune to sharpness. :D

If it happens again, I will try and do better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.