Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Browning BT99
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there are any organizations/events similar to the ATA that cater to disabled shooters. Failing that, are there any ATA dispensations for shooters with disabilities. I am a trap shooter who only has 1 arm, and, have shied away from ATA shoots simply for the fact that shooting 100 birds in succession is very tiring, and, I would struggle to mount the gun for the last round.

I shoot in local leagues, and practice at local clubs where 50 bird rounds are the norm.

Any advice is most welcome,

Regards,

Jake

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Josh Aldridge is a one armed shooter from Alabama. He participated in the sporting clays U.S. Open a few weeks ago. Won AA in the preliminary event, and did well in all the other events. You might try to contact him.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Jake. There are big 50s. You only shoot 50 targets per event. But to shoot your state shoot your going to have to shoot at least 100 targets. And maybe get into a shoot off after that. I would suggest you do some gun lifts at home . Till you can lift it and point it 200 times. Build your strength up. I think you would be surprised at what you could do...If you don't think you can shoot a 100 target event. Come out and shoot practice till you can. You can do about anything you set your mind to. You might look into shooting off a T-stick. I would also suggest not trying to catch your empties. Find a light gun like a Fabarm auto. And get out there and shoot.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
jpl

There isn't much out there that I could find. I was forced to go into a wheelchair back in April. I couldn't find anything that would help me adapt the wheelchair for trapshooting so I just started hanging things on it to see if they worked. You may try this link: Trap Shooting For The Physically Handicapped | ICIB Online Library, 1969 | ACPOC - Association of Children's Prosthetic-Orthotic Clinics

Figures 3-6 may be helpful in your case. They show trap suspension methods for those with handicaps wanting to shoot trap.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
40 years ago I shot with a fellow with one arm. He was a good shot.
Good luck with your shooting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts