Trapshooters Forum banner

"Diners, Drive-Ins, Dives and Skeet"

3345 Views 23 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  ezz555
Guy Fieri of Food Network fame, most notably Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, says one of his favorite things to do in Hawaii is to "shoot skeet."

Cut and Paste from USA Today

"Anyone can go to Hawaii to surf, but how about shooting skeet? Fieri says when he tires of the beach, he heads to this hidden spot, located inside an extinct volcano. “This is nuts. The views of the ocean are mind-blowing.” The instructor, an award-winning shooter, takes clients through dozens of stands. “In two hours, he changed my way of shooting,” Fieri says."

More information: mauisportingclays.com

Plant Cloud Sky Plant community Tree

It never ceases to amaze me regarding the lack of research news writers do about the very subject they are reporting.

Unless skeet is a little different on the island versus the mainland, there are now millions of non-shooters that think you shoot skeet on the side of a hill in paradise utilizing "dozens of stands."

Fellow forum members, I have to tell ya, I am not for one minute buying this load of literary linguine! This is not just a case of an ill informed news writer botching the article, I think there is more here than meets the eye. This is media manipulation of the masses, and I for one am fed up!

Skeet is not pretty. Everyone knows that. All those girly men prancing around in their English inspired shooting attire while waving their engraved short little barrels makes me want to toss my biscuits. And now your next door neighbor has the impression that skeet is just a beautiful thing. Coincidence? I think not.

I suspect Tron is involved with this.

He is the only forum member who subscribes to the Food Network.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
36,900 Posts
But they fit right in doc, Hawaiian men wear skirts too.

first picture taken of Randall, 75-125 years ago. The 2nd and 3rd traditional native. The 4th definitely a skeeter.

· Registered
729 Posts
Skeet is not pretty. Everyone knows that. All those girly men prancing around in their English inspired shooting attire while waving their engraved short little barrels makes me want to toss my biscuits.
The guy at my club makes a pretty good living shooting skeet. Won a few prizes also. Don’t recall him prancing around anytime recently. Name is Vincent Hancock, did OK in Tokyo.

6,495 Posts
Considering Skeet is an American invention we shouldn't take it too personally, but for some reason the term Skeet seems to resonate with folks...

Cruise boats use to offer Skeet Shooting off three fantails...

That set up on Maui in Makena is damn fine... as was the range on Lanai...

I could care less what they call it as long as they are willing to try and not speak bad about it...

· Premium Member
6,282 Posts
I can't tell you how many people I talk to that refer to trap as "skeets" but it's a lot! I like to ask them if the high or low house gives them more trouble? Typically a long pause followed by "huh?"
Likewise - I can't tell you the huge number of people who call the targets "skeet" ...... Our club at one time would sell cases of targets to 4-H and other shooting teams - most all the parents would always ask when they could come by a buy a few cases of "skeet".......

· Premium Member
1,796 Posts
spitter, I'm sorry but skeet is not an American invention. American Skeet is. This is where you can shoot 4 gauges and pre-mount your gun. Skeet is shot internationally and nothing to laugh at. Only 12 gauge, 7/8oz loads and low-gun. I know we're all having fun but it's not as easy as many think. Kind of like ATA trap to International or bunker trap. Quite humbling difference. With the broad audience that Guy Fieri has, I'm pleased to see the positive comments to our sport. Ok, flame away. Good shooting, Rey

· Registered
2,397 Posts
The trap guys don't like skeet because they can only hit targets going away from them. Much like the girls they are trying to catch.

Just kidding guys. I do think R&R rancher may had hit on something with the Food Channel Network though.

· Registered
1,572 Posts
About 5 years ago while on a week's vacation, we checked out skeet shooting on Kauai. For 4 rounds, 4 boxes of shells and the use of an O/U, the price was $125 plus tax. I'll leave it to you if you think this is reasonable ---

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
spitter, I'm sorry but skeet is not an American invention.
Yes. It is. Skeet as we know it is a late game. Glass ball and other artificial targets weren’t shot on a skeet half circle layout with two houses.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.