Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The indexer return spring (Part No. 13791) on my Dillon SL900 finally broke. I ordered a new one and installed it. The manual shows that one end hooks on the post hanging down from the ring indexer (13677) and bends around main shaft and the other end hooks on the post hanging down from the platform. OK, kind of tricky to hook the spring but got it done. But now the shellplate will not move or index properly when you pull the handle. The pawl underneath the shellplate looks like it moves properly when the shellplate is off. But when you put it back on the pawl does not engage and move the shellplate to the next position. I can't figure it out. Would greatly appreciate any help.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Im thinking that your shell plate is the key issue here, like all dillions the shell plate must be tight enough not to have loose play, but not too tight,

if you tighten the shell plate bolt anything past when it just touches the plate,it will bind the shell plate, back it off just a bit, feel it turn freely and tighten the shell plate bolt retainer screw.

This may sound dumb but can you index the shell plate to the next station with your fingers? if not the ring indexer(13677)cant either.

also i put a very thin film of gun grease on the shell plate, index ball, and shell plate bolt.

tell me what you find. Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No info on the Dillon forum. Yes, I know that you have to slightly loosen the bolt that holds the shellplate in order to allow it to turn. That is not the problem. Thanks for replying though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would call them. I have in the past. They will put you in touch with someone there who will be able to help you. They build them, and know from years of trouble shooting pretty much everything that could go wrong.
David

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you can't figure it out, call Dillon and ask for Gary Boyd as he is the guru for the sl900. I had a problem with the timing of the shellplate not being in synch called Gary and he thought the that the shellplate cam had broken so he sent me a new one with the spring. He was right but it sure was tough changing it by myself. Hope this helps, Joe

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
I had the same problem with my 650XL. If the mechanisms are similar, push the handle down so that the platform is all the way up. Look under the plate to see if the index pawl is engaging the round holes at the bottom of the plate. I needed a flashlight to get a good view. What I had to do was file the face of the index pawl slightly so that it would go into that hole to index the plate.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
Loosen the hex head screw (17637) on the left side of the ram, pull the shell plate bolt and the shell plate. Cycle the handle as usual and see if the indexer ring (13677) and the index pawl (13667) rotate clockwise as it should and return to their starting point. Let us know what does or does not happen.

Pat

·
Registered
24 Posts
The indexer return spring (Part No. 13791) on my Dillon SL900 finally broke. I ordered a new one and installed it. The manual shows that one end hooks on the post hanging down from the ring indexer (13677) and bends around main shaft and the other end hooks on the post hanging down from the platform. OK, kind of tricky to hook the spring but got it done. But now the shellplate will not move or index properly when you pull the handle. The pawl underneath the shellplate looks like it moves properly when the shellplate is off. But when you put it back on the pawl does not engage and move the shellplate to the next position. I can't figure it out. Would greatly appreciate any help.
u have it too tight

1 - 10 of 10 Posts