Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could the Forum please explain the difference between Winchester Model 12's that are or are not marked: Trap.

Also, how do the Y trap guns compare to the pre-64's.

Thank you

Lou

·
Sky Buster
4,169 Posts
There is no difference in pre-64 Model 12's. They just stopped marking them trap.
The "Y" series used an investmant cast receiver and many of the small parts
were also cast. The receiver and all parts in the pre-64 were machined.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
There are some variations in the pre 64 traps w/ respect to the Vent ribs. The most desirable is the 2pin aka milled rib. Next in desirability would be the 3pin rib. Least desirable would be the Win Special VR aka the donut post rib.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would a rib be put on as an aftermarket accessory?

How would I tell.

Does it matter (I would think it would matter, especially if I want to get the barrel reblued)

How do I tell if a rib is a milled rib.

Thank you

·
Registered
683 Posts
Many ribs have been put on model 12s aftermarket. Many different companies did it. They were glued, soldered and brazed. Most of the 2 pin guns had the top of the receivers also milled. As Skybuster said, internally, trap guns were about all the same, till the Y models. They have a Y in front of the serial number.
The entire subject is too involved to cover here.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Mapper: "The entire subject is too involved to cover here. "

Why? I have seen threads go on for hundreds of posts here.

I too have wondered how the investment cast receivers and MIM parts make the Y series inferior to the pre 64 models.

It seems to me that if the material is the same, investment cast receivers would be as strong as machined receivers.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
How to tell a milled rib? On milled rib guns there will be a a longer post just above the barrel band , that is the band that holds the mag tube to the barrel. The longer post will have 2 pins through the post to hold the rib on. There is no way to fake one. Available from 1919 to 1960. You can still obtain a proofmark stamp so beware. Sorry to disagree but the Milled rib is most desireable followed by the round post then doughnut and finally the three pin because of rarity. Jeff

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
The purists believe that pre '64 Mod 12s are more desireable...well mabe to collectors!

A Y model is just as strong, lasts as long and shoots the same as a pre 64! I have a few Ys and many pre 64s...when shooting, I can't see or feel any difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.