Trapshooters Forum banner

Difference ib CB Fig. 8 WADS

1642 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  phatkaw
Other than the numbers and letter what is the difference in these 2 wads?
CB8118-12
CB8118-12 (Fig 8)
For use in 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 oz. Trap, skeet, sporting clay or hunting loads. Performs best in tapered hulls, Remington or Winchester.

Optimum load is 1-1/8 oz.
CB3118-12ACB3118-12A (White 8)
(Reference data for Fig 8)

For use in 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 oz. Trap, skeet, sporting clay or hunting loads. Performs best in tapered hulls, Remington or Winchester.

Thanks in advance
Steve
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,577 Posts
Is that first wad green in color ??

if so I think it’s the stack height is the difference. One you can see it’s a complete fig 8. The other one one circle of the figure 8 is shorter. I have both and depends on the oz of shot and powder charges as to which one I use.

· Premium Member
8,302 Posts
It was a Patent thing...
The Patent ran out years ago but they still continue to make the octagonal ones for some reason?

I learned all this ^^^ from multiple past threads.

View attachment 1840162
The 3118 and 3118AR were originally released and so named the white compression 8 and red compression 8. They were marketed as “Handicap” wads that would deliver tighter/more pellets in the pattern performance.
Sometimes they will, other times they won’t.

The above is the true beginnings.

· Premium Member
3,706 Posts
The 3118 and 3118AR were originally released and so named the white compression 8 and red compression 8. They were marketed as “Handicap” wads that would deliver tighter/more pellets in the pattern performance.
Sometimes they will, other times they won’t.

The above is the true beginnings.
Don't ya just love "marketing"...

· Premium Member
8,302 Posts
Don't ya just love "marketing"...
I guess that one needs to be creative when you spend $20,000 on a pair of molds that didn’t produce the initial marketing claim.

I just can’t understand how marketing can be so good that people believe the 3118AR is a direct replacement for the 12C1 when it has no resemblance in design whatsoever!

· Premium Member
8,113 Posts
I guess that one needs to be creative when you spend $20,000 on a pair of molds that didn’t produce the initial marketing claim.

I just can’t understand how marketing can be so good that people believe the 3118AR is a direct replacement for the 12C1 when it has no resemblance in design whatsoever!
What is your definition of "direct replacement." To me, it means the same, or nearly the same, OAL, diameter of the overpowder cup, crush section length and capacity of the shot cup. They can have different designs for the crush section.

· Premium Member
8,302 Posts
What is your definition of "direct replacement." To me, it means the same, or nearly the same, OAL, diameter of the overpowder cup, crush section length and capacity of the shot cup. They can have different designs for the crush section.
Direct replacement = similar configuration/exact ballistic performance/same dimensions.

IE 1118 direct replacement WAA12
2118 direct replacement 12S3
8118 direct replacement Fig 8

· Registered
3,234 Posts
I never got that either. How the AR wad could perform in any way the same as the old Fed. "pushin cushion" C1 [and C2] style wads that were made famous in the Federal champion paper shells.
They load kind of the same in Fed. papers but I think that the stack height is taller with the AR wad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts