Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a beautiful little .410 Padrone w/ 30" barrels. Played around on the sporting course and went to clean it for the 1st time. Long story short, I managed to REALLY get .410 copper brush stuck in the top barrel. The barrel was so tight that the base of a std. brush would not go through. Ended up breaking a heavy duty rod, cutting the end of the brush off and banging the base back out w/ a hammer and screwdriver.
What have I done to my choke??????
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Man that is tight.
How does it look inside the barrel?
Are you sure you were using a 410 brush?

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I think the brush base is aluminum, so you are probably alright. Just keep telling yourself that. :) You could pattern it, and see how it looks. Then use a bore snake from now on.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For sure. Kept forcing it in as I too couldn't believe that the .410 brush wouldn't pass through.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the responses. I see some surface scratching but hope I am all right. I will take it to the patterning board but .410 patterns aren't much anyway.
Mark

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
mflora,
I would not worry too much about it, probably did not hurt a thing.
Does seem like it was awfully tight, might want to get a bore gauge and check it out.
How did it shoot?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Its Probably ok but have someone check it with a dial bore gage for being out of round.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Where were the scratches, in the choke area, forcing cone, etc?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I always use a heavy duty bronze .45cal rifle brush on my .410 (the rifle ones are longer than a pistol brush). It not only does a nice job on the barrel and choke, but does a dandy job of cleaning the chamber. Just remember to not reverse directions in the bore. Push it, or pull it all the way through in one direction. If you do reverse it in the bore, you won't get it stuck, or hurt the barrel, it will just put a flex on the bristles and shorten the life of the brush.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Might try one of the flex hone bore polishers. Just oil it with flex hone oil, chuck into a drill and work it back and forth in the bore. Cost is about $50 and should polish out the scratches if not too deep.
Jim

·
Registered
589 Posts
Mark >>> "What have I done to my choke??????" >>> It will be fine "too much strength in the small diameter barrels of a .410 for a copper brush to do very little harm to them" just whack a few shells through it and check and re-clean.
Phil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts