Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to go today and shoot. I got to look under the hood a bit as well. I hope this is helpful to any of those interested.

The Outside:
Sky Road Urban area Architecture Residential area
Perfect day to shoot inside. Rainy and cold. The outside is large. No landscaping yet. Right in the middle of town off 113. GPS has a hard time with the address on their website. The street is Division. The sign has the time 10-8. Friday they will be open 10-9.

The inside:
Ceiling Property Building Room Real estate

Ceiling Building Property Room Interior design

Building Ceiling Room Floor Flooring

The bbq place has open dining to the right. The restrooms are down the hall past this. There is a large seating area to the left with one tv but numerous oversized seats and couches as well as barstools and bar space
Against viewing glass on either side of the main counter.
To the right of the counter is the gun handling and equipment area. You put your things in there after being buzzed in, then come back out. Complete a your waiver and pay. Still only 3dr top guns due to shipping issues from covid. I liked the shells.

The gun/equipment area:
Building Room Floor Ceiling Road

Nice gun racks. The shelving on the right is fine but I told them they need to have tables or a shelf for cases. My perazzi case barely fit. I can’t imagine putting an America’s on there and most trapshooters aren’t going to want to put their case on the ground.

The field:
Public space Parking lot Road Architecture City

It’s clean and the line is well lit. The lights switch to every other support so the target goes in and out of light as it flies but not worse than night shooting. 67CWN would be too dark unless they add lights. Used my 92CLHC and worked great.
Targets were 51 yards and 8 ft tbar. Said that’s a little much spring but didn’t have a speed. Looked fine anyway. Broke 49/50 singles with no issues. Only one broken target. Pulls work great. Buckets for shells and box holders at every station. Nice for doubles.
Asphalt Road surface Wire

Other odds and ends:
I had the chance to look around a bit as no one else was shooting.
There is a net catching targets at 48-52 yards. These will not be reused in ATA but they grab them for practice to help with cost.
Asphalt Architecture Line Urban area Road surface

The targets are all orange, pitch Champions. They are hard and several targets with multiple holes but no break. Didn’t have many issues when I shot though.
Orange Red Water Circle

The shot curtain is working beautifully. There is very little deformation and they are planning on selling the reclaimed shot, which will be nice. The advantage of using all the same ammo is very little sorting and all uniform.
Finger Hand Skin Ring Close-up

The trap houses are well constructed with a pneumatic bar to raise and lower the roof. Pat traps in both houses. It took less than 3 minutes to change over and set doubles. They need a little work but very open to suggestions.

I will add the last couple photos on the next post.

Overall impression:

It is a little pricey, but on a day like today, I would do it again in a heartbeat. Good targets. Nice people. They have the potential to make this right. It would be nice in the long term if prices would come down, but that will be somewhat hard with the long hours and fixed costs. That being said, I would still do it at their current rates. I plan to shoot registered and maybe even league there. It’s a neat experience, and I would recommend anyone who has a chance give it a try.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Traps:
Asphalt Parking Architecture Road Subway

(with the top up)
Steel Architecture Glass Metal

clearance is high. You can just about stand in the back and fill. Very easy on the workers. Lots of room.

The restaurant had at least 20 takeout orders while I was there for a couple hours.

The ventilation system is very food. Air handlers kicked on when I went to shoot. There is a master on/off at the main desk. It was around 68-70 degrees. Very comfy in jeans and a t shirt.

They scrub and clean targets from the field at least once a day. It loads on a skidster and only takes a few minutes to do.

A final note about shooting:
The owners know trapshooters shoot release triggers. And the official word is no. That being said, they know trapshooters shoot release triggers. I’m not saying what that means, and I am not saying the owners or anyone said anything contrary to their official policy. But read that as you will for those concerned about their not being welcomed if they shoot a release.

Hope this helps anyone interested.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wonderful review, impressive 1st class facility. I lived in Coal City, the town right next door from 2002 to 2015 until the tornado totally destroyed our home. I really wish this range would have been there then; would have been nice for the winter especially. Thanks again, brought back some fond memories of the area we called home. Shoot well. Dave kr

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One more thing I forgot to show. They have a large monitor with livestream of 9 cameras, including the traps to monitor birds, one on the house to see the line, one from behind, one in the gear room and several others to monitor the area. It’s both secure and allows the proctor/staff to watch people closely. Reassuring for those who are experienced shooting with, inevitably, newbies who haven’t taken the time to learn proper gun safety.
Sky Footwear Building Shoe Car

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Great review and you certainly took your time. I see "Range use" $20, if you shoot several rounds, is the $20 a 1 time fee? Does the $15 include shells? Do you have to buy their shells? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great review and you certainly took your time. I see "Range use" $20, if you shoot several rounds, is the $20 a 1 time fee? Does the $15 include shells? Do you have to buy their shells? Thanks
That’s 2 rounds, every time, including their shells, which will be federal top guns. To wit, I shot 50 singles and 25 pair of doubles. Cost out the door was $71.88. That includes new, factory ammo.

It’s the same as paying $10 per round of practice plus $7.50 per box for promo shells. All things considered, it’s a premium but not much worse than some places for round fees or shells considering the convenience and novelty.

I only wish they had more options (though the top guns aren’t bad) and I wish they were throwing white flyers or Midwest targets. I hit several of those champions really hard with my full from 16 and I didn’t really have a single ink spot/smokeball. Save the one miss, I didn’t chunk any targets at all (5-10 piece breaks). A bit odd but I know the champions are supposed to be pretty hard.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts